Running Too Many Programs Could Slow Down Your PC

Pesala 18:10 26 Dec 06

Windows XP informs me that I have 2 programs running and that running too many programs could slow down my PC. LOL

One of those programs is Opera, I think the other one is Magic Mail Monitor. I wonder which one I should turn off to speed up my PC?

How many programs is too many?

Probabilitydrive 18:43 26 Dec 06

depends on your machine's specs, but running 2 applications should not pose any problems.

bring up task master (right-click blue bottom task bar) > task master.

look through 'applications' to see how many apps your system is running.

look through 'processes' to find out what processes are using up your systems recources.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:18 26 Dec 06

Cut down on the programs that load at startup -- Start - Run type msconfig - startup tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

and the services that run in the background. click here

Pesala 22:09 26 Dec 06

Come one guys, I have 1 Gbyte of memory and Windows is telling me I have too many programs running? What's up?

I have FastStone Capture in the system tray too, but that doesn't count as a program apparently.

I shut down by using the Sleep button, and restarted using the power switch. I tried again, but it didn't happen next time. I have seen the message before with 4 programs running:

Pesala 22:19 26 Dec 06

It happens every time if I click on the link that says I have "n" programs running. That is a bit misleading don't you think? I would expect such an advisory message only if the system was running low on memory.

Stuartli 23:45 26 Dec 06

I've usually got my Freeview PCI TV card in use as well as several programs and, even with only 512MB of RAM it's more than fast enough...:-)

woodchip 23:47 26 Dec 06

As above how many things start up in MSCONFIG

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…