running software from an SD card or usb memory

algo mas 15:38 13 Nov 06

Can I run a programme off an SD card or usb memory please?
I do not want to load sofware on my computer.

Thanks.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:42 13 Nov 06

I do from my SD cards and USB memory. It is supposed to be slower but I haven't noticed any difference. I would imagine they are not suitable for running games.

G

Audeal 16:00 13 Nov 06

Although I have never done as you want there is no reason why you can not run programs from an SD card.

You need to copy the entire installation CD onto the SD Card and install it from there.

Bare in mind though, when installing programs you will install data into the Registry, which, of course, is on your C Drive.

Using this method is useful for preventing other users of your computer from accessing your program and if you save any savable data on the card you will also prevent any user from accessing it.

Simsy 16:54 13 Nov 06

choose the usb memory/sd card as the destination to install to.

As Audeal mentioned, most programmes, (though mot all), make entries in the registry as part of their install routine. When this is the case you will not be able to the use the devise plugged in to another PC and ise that programme, (in case that was your intention!)

Having said that, there is a free graphics programme called "The Gimp" and there is now a version of that made specifically for installing on cards so it can be used anywhere. I've installed it on a flash card so I can now do useful graphics at work, where we dont otherwise have graphics software installed.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Simsy

Belatucadrus 17:00 13 Nov 06

click here for some portable applications designed to run from SD cards and USB without changing the registry.

algo mas 10:56 14 Nov 06

Thank you all for replying to my post.
I did intend to use a programme on another computer.Policy at work does not allow installation .However other responses have helped me choose software that will enable me to do so. Thanks again for all your help.

algo mas 10:58 14 Nov 06

topic answered thanks.
Alggo mas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…