Running sfc /scannow in XP without XP disc

g0slp 09:26 18 Sep 05

I'm trying to restore an HP 'puter which was supplied without an original XP disc by BT computing about 2 1/4 years ago. The support from this quarter is well past its expiry date

I've got the 6 backup discs which were burnt immediately on receipt of the machine during its initial commissioning, per the instructions supplied. These have been kept safe.

The machine has, in general, run very well & has AVG, AAW, Spybot etc, all up to date & used on a regular basis. It's got all the microsoft Updates, SP2 etc etc.

However, it's now locking up occasionally, & System Restore doesn't help.

I've tried running sfc /scannow to check the system, but unfortunately it's asking for the original disc.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks & regards to all.

mark (g0slp)

ulrich 09:29 18 Sep 05

I'm afraid you do need the original disc.

VoG II 09:30 18 Sep 05

If you can find the I386 folder from the backup and copy to the hard drive then follow these instructions click here it should work.

Diodorus Siculus 09:31 18 Sep 05

Run System File Checker *without* WinXP install CD? (branded PC has no WinXP CD) - TechSpot Troubleshooting

"you can still run this command without using the Windows XP CD. While running the "sfc /scannow" command if it prompts for the Windows XP CD for the path of the system files, please provide the following path:

"C:\I386"

This should resolve the issue"
click here

g0slp 09:37 18 Sep 05

And on a Sunday morning too :-))

I'll have a look at them later - the better half has just told me that she 'wants out of the house' for the day, so I'd better do as I'm told..

Will post back later.

Thanks again.

Mark

(It's nice to be back on the forum after 3 1/2 months at sea, by the way!)

Stuartli 11:20 18 Sep 05

In actual fact you only need C:
Go to:

click here

for an explanation of the Registry change required if you wish to do it without the XP disk.

Stuartli 11:21 18 Sep 05

The slash got missed off.

In actual fact you only need C:\ Go t:

etc

Stuartli 11:23 18 Sep 05

Something wierd happening here......

g0slp 13:23 19 Sep 05

Apologies for delay in posting.

I can't open the recovery discs to extract the I386 folder; nor can I open the Recovery files in the D partition on the HDD.

Unfortunately I can't give a path for accessing the recovery files either, the thing wants to be fed an XP disc.

I've checked HP's website again, but can't seem to find anything of use. (Machine is a Pavilion t150uk).

Looks like I'll possibly have to do a restore from the recovery disc set then reinstall all the drivers, software etc for the hardware. HP says this shouldn't be necessary, but I've been bitten before...

Thanks again for suggestions so far; I'll put off the restore in case some other solution comes up.

Cheers all.
Mark

Stuartli 14:00 19 Sep 05

Have you also looked in the ServicePackFiles folder from Windows for the i386 sub folder?

g0slp 14:04 19 Sep 05

No, I hadn't.

Thanks for suggestion.

Regards
Mark

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…