Running sfc / Scannow With a Recovery CD

Rickyv 15:59 20 Nov 03

I have a problem with IE6 in that I can no longer access the e-mail icon. Also when i try to use an e-mail link on a web site it doesnt work. I have to open Outlook Express seperately and copy and paste the e-mail address. I tried using the repair facility offered by microsoft, but after a while it asks for the XP Home CD. I only have a restore CD (MESH computer) and that doesnt work. I tried sfc/scannow but that also asks for the XP CD. Is there any other way i can reinstall IE6 and OE6?? I was advised to copy the i386 folder from the cd to C:\windows\i386 which i have done. I have also edited HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion and changed the sourcePath to c:\windows\i386. But i am still asked for the CD. Should i have changed windows NT? I have XP Home! The existing sourcepath was A:\i386. Can you help please????

VoG II 16:10 20 Nov 03
  Rickyv 16:49 20 Nov 03

I've tried that - but sfc/Scannow still asks for the CD and there is no 'browse' option

bremner 16:55 20 Nov 03

How old is your Mesh recovery disk.

I ask because mine is nearly two years old, (purchased machine Jan 2002) and I have never had a problem with sfc /scannow refusing the Mesh recovery disk. I have just tried it and it again worked perfectly.

VoG II 16:57 20 Nov 03

Did you do the Registry Edit?

Rickyv 17:03 20 Nov 03

I bought it in December 2001. I did the registry edit, but i'm not sure if it is correct. Firstly in your message it states go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion - is this right if i'm running XP? Secondly i changed the sourcePath to c:\windows\i386 - it was previously A:windows\i386 - that seems strange, i thought it would have stated D:\windows\i386. But then i'm a struggling novice!!!

bremner 17:08 20 Nov 03

If it was previously A:/etc change it to D:/ and try with the Recovery Disk.

bremner 17:09 20 Nov 03

Rickyv

Just to be clear we have machines bought almost at the same time. Mine works fine with the recovery disk. Checking the registry entry for mine the SourcePath data entry is D:/

VoG II 17:11 20 Nov 03

Yes that's the correct key for XP.

The source path should be on C: assuming that is the letter for your hard drive. That's where you are trying to get SFC to look for the i386 folder that you've copied from D: to C:\windows

Rickyv 17:13 20 Nov 03

Oh strange , mine was a:\windows and i changed it to C:
But it does try the D:\ drive

Is yours a blue CD version 1.0 2001

bremner 17:15 20 Nov 03

Yes it is

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…