Running scanning programs while online

CurlyWhirly 21:55 13 May 05

Recently there have been quite a lot of updates for Ad-aware, Spybot, etc, and I always run them while online as, to be honest, I can't be bothered logging off!

Does having IE or firefox 'open' make any difference to running the programs i.e. would it make any difference to the results?
I also run my anti-virus scan while online and I am also wondering whether doing this makes me more vulnerable to viruses, as the anti-virus program would be pre-occupied with scanning as opposed to protecting the PC?

p;3 22:04 13 May 05

I usually run my scans off-line so the machine can concentrate on the task at hand (not that it has a slow processor, but give it a good crack at the whip); I would have thought that, provided you do not surf and do not use e mail while scanning that you are OK; but that defeats the object of your being on line I presume:)

and the other scans cannot find all that they are intended to if you are flitting around while scanning:)

CurlyWhirly 22:08 13 May 05

You have some valid arguments there so perhaps it is better that I do my scanning while off line as like you mention, if you are online you shouldn't really be doing anything too bandwidth intensive which defeats the object of being online while doing the scanning in the first place!
Cheers!

p;3 22:19 13 May 05

yeas;;;I got sumunt right and someone agrees with me::)))

but you must agree that my comments and practise make sense?!

CurlyWhirly 22:26 13 May 05

Yes indeed, your comments DO make perfect sense!

p;3 22:41 13 May 05

you do not have to agree with only me:)

others may have completely different views on this:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…