Running Processes ????????

lodger 21:13 16 Sep 05

In Win XP, do I need any running processes, or can i simply disable them all, and start them when i choose?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:14 16 Sep 05
  Jackcoms 21:17 16 Sep 05

I can only hope that your knowledge is better than mine.

I have 4 users on this PC and when we are all logged in there are 64 running processes.

I wouldn't even know where to begin with regard to disabling some of them.

If the PC runs OK, I would suggest that you leave well alone.

swapper 21:46 16 Sep 05

merrycherry 21:47 16 Sep 05

many of the processes that run in the background are essential system processes without which windows/the PC wouldn't work. For information on individual processes go to click here

ade.h 22:31 16 Sep 05

And click here It's quite a long list but does explain pretty well what each does and whether you really need it. Some services that run by default should actually be modified for reasons of performance, reliability or security. The notoriously annoying messenger service is a case in point. Also click here for a description of task manager items (including those from third-party software).

ade.h 22:33 16 Sep 05

If the first site that I suggested says "leave it running" then definitely don't disable it.

woodchip 22:47 16 Sep 05

processes! or programs there is a difference.

dan11 00:07 17 Sep 05

"there are 64 running processes."

Hope you have plenty ram. :-)

"or can i simply disable them all,"

No you can not. If you have a large amount of 'Running Processes' and are finding that there is not a lot of free ram or the system is sluggish. Then disable all in run > msconfig > startup. Now check the number of running processors and the amount of available physical ram. Do you have much of an improvement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…