Running Processes

Major Disaster 12:31 09 Apr 05

My pc is beging to show its age and im just trying to keep it going for a bit longer until i buy a new one. I have 50 running processes at the moment and wonder are they all necessary, or can i end some of them to make my pc run faster. Please advise of any known freeware programme that can help me to do this, and how safe is it to do so?
Any help is appreciated, thanks

woodchip 12:49 09 Apr 05

You can try removing them all exept Anti-Virus and Firewall if you need any just put them back. Go to start\run type MSCONFIG go startup tab and remove ticked box's,

leave System tray and ScanRegistry running, do not remove the tickes in these

CurlyWhirly 12:51 09 Apr 05

I have 49 running on my PC and I have always had at least 40 running, so perhaps this is normal?
I am running XP Home though.

bremner 12:56 09 Apr 05

I think there is confusion here between the items in Startup in msconfig and the running processes.

click here for info

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:57 09 Apr 05

For XP services click here

advice and how to stop them

Major Disaster 13:05 09 Apr 05

Hey, thanks for the help, i have XP home too, i know that msconfig edits startup, not running processes. I was just wondering if anyone new of a programme that i cud dodnload to show me what the processes were and if they were safe to stop. Any idea?

bremner 13:23 09 Apr 05

Use this click here to type in the process and it will tell you what it is.

Arthur Scrimshaw 13:24 09 Apr 05

After a clean install of xp I normally look for about 25 processes running, - this will creep up when you install AV etc. A lot of software likes to configure itself to load when you start windows, you have to be vigilant and remove it as it often doesn't give you the option when you install it in the first place - 'Tweak-XP' is good for stripping out what you don't need but there are others.

Major Disaster 20:52 09 Apr 05

thanks for the help, especially with that website bremmerm Arthur do you know where a download for tweak xp is? does the websiet below look any good? click here
Any ideas or help is appreciated!

Major Disaster 15:15 10 Apr 05

So, any ides? Basically all im looking for is a freeare programe that will tell me what the processes are and if i need them (like The Ultimate Troubleshoot). Any ideas? Thanks for any help

Arthur Scrimshaw 12:25 11 Apr 05

The tweak-xp I got free from a cover disk but it appears you have to pay for it on the site. Have you looked on MajorGeeks? click here - just about every application (free and otherwise) is there - try under 'admin' - there seem to be a few that fit the bill but I cannot recommend any as I haven't tried them. If you have so many processes running my bet would be 50% were non essential and as a result of software you have loaded? You can normally identify these fairly easily in msconfig. Check out major geek and post back.

good luck

ps tweak-xp site is click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…