Running out of disk space on Recovery

Duncanf 19:24 22 Nov 10

I have a Dell laptop running Vista and a 230GB drive C. I reinstalled Windows recently and there now seems to be a Drive E called Recovery of 10GB size of which 9.80GB is used. I am constantly getting messages in the bottom right hand corner of screen saying 'You are running out of disk space on drive E' and giving only option of emptying Recycle Bin which is already empty. The folders in E are Dell, Programme files, Sources, Tools and Windows and I'm not aware of putting them there!

rawprawn 19:29 22 Nov 10

Go to Start> Run> Type msconfig and then hit Enter. Click on Boot tab and if your E: is showing
delete it.

Duncanf 19:35 22 Nov 10

Thanks for reply. Did this but only Drive C is shown in Boot.

rawprawn 19:39 22 Nov 10

Try this, but backup your registry before doing anything so that it can be replaced if needs be.
click here

rawprawn 19:42 22 Nov 10

This may be easier to follow
click here

Duncanf 19:44 22 Nov 10

Not sure of how to do that! Do you mean restore point? Sorry....silver surfer!

c4rm0 19:46 22 Nov 10

You sure it isnt your Dell recovery partition ?

Dell computers come with a Recovery partition that you can use to restore the computer to the way it was when it was new (usually by pressing F12 when the computer starts). The problem isn't that the Recovery partition is almost full. The problem is that Windows Vista shouldn't be accessing that partition at all, and neither should the user.

To remove the partition from Windows Vista and avoid the error message, remove its drive letter:

1. Click the Start button.
2. Type diskmgmt.msc in the Start Search box and press Enter .
3. Click Continue at the User Account Control prompt.
4. When the Disk Management window opens, right-click the E: partition, click Change Drive Letter and Paths... , and click Remove .
5. Click Yes .

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:50 22 Nov 10

Agree with c4rm0

DO NOT delete this E partition ypu may need it later.

Looks as if you latest install has revelled the "Hidden" partition.

rawprawn 19:53 22 Nov 10

c4rm0 yes but that would completely destroy the recovery partition, which Duncanf may wish to use at some future date.

Duncanf To backup your registry go to Start> Run. and type regedit and then hit Enter. Make sure Computer is highlighted at the top, click File> Export and select where you want to save your backup (Such as My Documents) and save it.
If anything goes wrong you can then double click on that and it will replace the registry to how it is now.

rawprawn 19:56 22 Nov 10

I agree about not deleting the recovery partition, am I misreading c4rm0 as the way I read it his suggestion would delete it

Duncanf 20:13 22 Nov 10

Thanks a million guys....your instructions worked perfectly and I even know how to back up my registry! The annoying message has gone!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…