Running old external hdd + formating etc

Furkin 11:45 AM 21 Nov 12

Hi gang,

I want to check the contents an old hdd before I get rid of it. It’s taken me 2 days to remove it from the Polar Tower case – not sure what the form factor is, but it takes a large Legend QDI m.board. I had to strip the whole case down to get at one retaining screw in the base of the drive !

The drive is an IBM DTTA-351010 E182115HG (IDE). I’ve Googled it & it seemed to be a good bit of kit – at the time.

I’ve connected it to a USB via an Adapter Cable kit – to my SATA desktop. I’ve used this on other HDD’s, & it was o.k.

The drive starts & runs o.k. The lights on the adapter work o.k. The machine recognises that I have another drive (set to Master), but won’t let me open it. It says it needs formatting. I’m guessing that its formatted to FAT/FAT32 – my machine is NTFS.

Of course, if I format it, I’ll lose everything on it.

I don’t recall having this problem with the other hdd’s that I’ve looked at, but I can’t really remember what either they, or my machine, was formatted to at the time.

Any ideas how to get round this please ?

As a last resort - and if I can find a PS2 rodent & k.board - I may be able to get it running in the original Polar case.

Many thanks

lotvic 12:27 PM 21 Nov 12

have you looked in 'Disk Management' to see what info that gives/recognises on File system?

Is your desktop running XP or W7?

lotvic 12:30 PM 21 Nov 12

I found this AskLeo which is about what you are trying to do, it might be useful.

Furkin 12:40 PM 21 Nov 12

Asus M5a-78 + Phenom IIx2 + IE9 + Win 7 32bit + 4gb ram

That looks like the very thing - thanks. I'm off to the hospital shortly, so will look into it when I get back.

It had already assigned its-self as G:\ drive.

cheers mate.

lotvic 12:49 PM 21 Nov 12

That might not be the very thing :( as it's already assigned itself a drive letter.

Furkin 09:58 AM 15 Dec 12

Hi guys, Apologies for the delay in getting back – I’ve been ill.

I’ve just sorted a problem with my Sons hdd (with the help of you guys) which prompted me to get back to my own problem.

UPDATE:

I’ve connected this up again to remind me of what happened.

When I go to Computer, it recognises it as a drive and assigns G: to it. It doesn’t say anything about a file system (FAT/NTFS etc) – whereas my Samsung & Seagate 1tb drives show up as NTFS’s.

When I click on G: it comes up with:

“Needs formatting before you can use”.

Then I get:

**“G: is not accessible.” The volume does not contain a recognised file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded & that the volume is not corrupted”.**

This came off the machine that I was using before this one, so I can’t see it being empty, though I guess it uses the older file system.

I haven’t missed much that might be on it,,,, but that might just be because I don’t know what’s on it ?!

As you said lotvic, the 'askleo' wasn't for my problem.

any more ideas please ?

lotvic 13:03 PM 15 Dec 12

Only to see if EasUS PM can recognise the file system. If it can't then I'm out of suggestions.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:46 PM 15 Dec 12

if it came out of an old machine using window it will either be Fat32 or NTFS

If windows sees the drive and assigns a letter then either nothing on it or File allocation table is damaged.

Test Disk will recover it if there are files there

How to use Test Disk here

Furkin 01:15 AM 16 Dec 12

Thanks F.B. for the update.

I have managed to get to read this drive, on my machine. When I set it as Master, I was looking at the wrong list of disk features. When I set it as 16 Head - it now works, and is FAT32.

I'm currently looking through it, & deleting old stuff.

My next problem, is getting it to actually run in its own machine.

I can't recall the error messages at the moment, so will start another post tomorrow (Sun) with images of them.

thanks again to you all.

Furkin 14:53 PM 26 Dec 12

UPDATE:

Hi guys, Apologies for taking up your time, but I tried to carry on with this drive today.

I think there is now a physical problem with this drive. When I managed to boot it up a couple of weeks ago, all seemed well. I looked at the files/folders, and deleted a couple of them, intending to carry on with it later.

But: when I connect it up now, the PC reverts back to its original message “needs formatting”. I have tried most permutations of jumpering – to no avail. When its powered up, I can hear/feel it spinning and all seems nice and smooth - until I connect the USB data cable. It then starts to make a couple of noises;

One is a slightly quickening whirring sound for about a second, then there is a ‘click’, and it goes back to the whir – on a loop.

To my limited mind, it sounds as if its trying to read the disk, but gets mechanically stopped.
*If its anything like a laser arm in a CD/DVD thing, the laser carrying arm sometimes sticks. I’m wondering if this might be what’s happening here.*

I only want it to work once more – then I’ll copy the data to my internal E: (back-up) drive.   I looked at a thing on youtube about opening similar items, so that I might be able to see what’s happening, but the video only showed him taking out 6 screws around the edge of the cover. Mine has similar 6 screws, but another 3 (poss more under the label). One seems to be in the middle of the platter – so I don’t want to remove this without seeking help.  

Is anyone conversant with this drive – intimately ?  

I’m hoping that a little nudge might make it work one more time.

Whilst its not the end of the World (I missed that day !? What occurred) I’d like a bash at both retrieving the data again, and also making it work properly – after all, I’d like to put it back in the old machine that it came out of.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Hope you’re all having a great time.

lotvic 15:36 PM 26 Dec 12

Yes, sounds (clicking) as if it's getting stuck and is nearly duff. you could try shaking/tapping it to see if that unsticks it. With my dodgy clicky - now it works, now it doesn't - oldie I ended up putting it in freezer overnight (double wrapped in plastic to keep moisture out) then took it out and after a couple of hours tried it again and was able to copy the entire contents to another hard drive.

When I tried the oldie the following day it was dead again, so it got the lump hammer treatment (as I couldn't get top off to smash the actual disc inside) prior to being dumped in bin. If you are wanting to have a working hdd in the old pc you could make an image of the oldie and then you will be able to put it on a different drive and boot the old pc up.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

14 best budget laptops of 2015: best budget laptops reviews - best cheap laptops - best bargain…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Animated film of Raymond Briggs' Ethel and Ernest ramps up production

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…