Running my own web server?

AcidBurn7uk 22:55 09 Feb 04

Wasn't quite sure were to put this, but since it's about web servers/sites I figure it's best to put it here. I have an apache web server with php and mySQL running on my local machine for testing purposes. Ho do I set up my computer to allow access so that somebody else can view the site over the net? I assume I would have to allow access to port 80 in zone-alarm, my firewall, and configure apache somehow, but how?

Sir Radfordin 22:58 09 Feb 04

Generally it isn't a good idea (security etc) and may not be allowed under the T&C of your ISP. However if you do want to do it then yes port 80 will need to be open and you would give people access via your IP address - eg http: // xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

AcidBurn7uk 00:25 10 Feb 04

Thanks kind knight ;-) will check T&C of ISP (NTL) This is only for testing purposes though, not a live site, so I would think it would be O.k.

I run my own webserver thru my router.

Makes life easier, i can get mates to test site's without having to upload all the time, can share file's easier, give mates FTP space for piccies, and best of all i have a personal games server that i can apply my own password to!

Downside is that it is a bit noisey! But soon i shall stop that with a change of fan in PSU and some more effiecent cooling.

Forum Editor 07:08 10 Feb 04

is fine, but operating a public-access web server is an entirely different thing. It can be done of course, but you would be far better off using a 'proper' web host - there are all kinds of complex security issues relating to public web servers.

AcidBurn7uk 10:31 10 Feb 04

Success. I opened port 80 in zone alarm, and then disabled the built in firewall that XP comes with and all works well. As always, thanks for the speed response.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…