Running multiple Windows OSs

3rdday 23:00 19 Apr 04

I would like to partition my system so that I can install both Windows Me and Windows 98 and boot from either. Can anyone point me at a good online guide to doing this sort of thing? Thanks.

tony1160 00:04 20 Apr 04

sorry mate with your 2 o/s being win98 and winme you'll find winme not allowing the install ,but any other o/s will be happy to duel boot with win98.

GaT7 00:12 20 Apr 04

My suggestion would be to get WinXP (dump Win Me) & multiboot with Win98. For helpful guides/tutorials - 1. click here. 2. click here. 3. click here. Good luck, G

CalmCookie 00:49 20 Apr 04

Yes you can use a system that allows a multi-boot of whatever MS operating system like....take a look at click here
I don't normally like to advertise a companies software, but it does work and if that's what you want then it's probably the best.
Hope that helps.

GaT7 01:11 20 Apr 04

Yes, forgotten about HyperOS. Nice one CalmCookie.

But the price is prohibitive & you could get WinXP Home for less (considerably less if you shop in the right place). If you aren't willing to let go of either Win98/WinMe & willing to spend a packet then HyperOS should do it for you.

3rdday 10:37 20 Apr 04

I was rather hoping that I could do it without spending any money. It's an old system and I have licensed copies of 98 and Me which can go on it. I also have some old apps/games which won't run on XP.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

TomJerry 10:51 20 Apr 04

you can get Amazon for £30. A old version was on a computer magazine (cannot remember which one, you can search this forum for info).

keith-236785 11:22 20 Apr 04

If you are prepared to format your hard drive, use fdisk from a win98 startup disk, partition your hard drive into THREE partitions, one for win98 one for winME and one for files you need to keep safe (drivers important docs etc.)

once fdisked, format drive C

install win98 onto drive C:

once installed and setup, format drive D:

install winme onto drive D: (it should ask if you want to upgrade or full install, choose full then point it to drive D:)

hopefully on rebooting your pc, you should be presented with a boot up option screen to choose between the two windows

a win98 startup disk can be got either from click here or if you have win98 now, goto control panel/add remove programs, click the tab that says "Start-Up Disk"

one blank floppy, three or four hours, plenty of coffee and even more patience and it can all be done FREE (i like free)

best of luck.

keith-236785 11:36 20 Apr 04

Both partition magic and Ranish are available in the download section of this forum. these should both partition the drive for you if you would rather do it on the fly!

goto the Downloads link at the top of the page, click on utilities/hard disk

there are three partition managers available, Partition Resiser, partiton manager and Ranish partiton manager.

3rdday 22:47 26 Apr 04

Thanks for all your suggestions. In the end I decided to buy a copy of Partition Magic from Ebay and I will be giving that a try shortly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac