running multiple operating sytems on one laptop

Newuser339 10:26 03 Oct 07

Hi,
I've recently bought a new laptop with 'Vista Home Premium' installed but would like to install 'XP Pro' on an external hard drive. The idea being to select my operating system on boot up depending on the programme I want to run. Really appreciate some help on how to do this as I would like to keep 'Vista' for the future but trust XP at the moment.
Thanks Guys,
Telf Irving

As far as im aware you cant properly run xp from extenal hard drive,you would need to do a dual boot set up from the main drive.
click here
It may be worth doing a search on the forums/ look in the vista section.
Check out any potential pitfalls etc.

norman47 11:36 03 Oct 07

You would find it far easier to partition the hard drive and load Xp pro first and then Vista. it would automatically dual boot for you. Thats if you have both operating system disks.

To boot from an external hard drive with XP and have the laptop to run vista is possible. The bios would need to have the option to boot from either other devices or boot from usb. You would need to use this setting when the system is setup.

You might have to remove the internal drive to load XP but try this first. Enter the bios and select boot from cdrom as first boot option. For the second boot option select boot from usb device.

save and exit with the xp operating system disk in the cdrom. reboot and see if starts to load XP.

If it does not and starts to load Vista then remove the hard drive from the laptop and try.

If it loads leave the bios at that setting, so it will boot to XP when the external drive is connected.

You do know that if you boot from XP on the external hard drive that the system will take much longer to boot and your programs will run much slower.

Quiet Life 14:36 03 Oct 07

Raven is correct. Windows is designed not to run from an external drive.
It can be achieved but not for a normal user as the modifcations are very difficult.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5