Running low on disc space

DAKAR 16:52 PM 09 Jun 11

Hi all This one is for me I keep getting the message running low on disc space,I have tried removing programmes in control panel but I cannot see anything I would be happy removing The only heavy users I can see are service pack 1 and service pack 2 I am running XP sp3 any ideas as what I can do. Kind regards Dakar

woodchip 17:07 PM 09 Jun 11

First try running Cleanup

Cleanup Link

Then Go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore Click Settings and turn off System Restore to clear all old Restore Points then set the restore Slider to about 7% of the Drive

Now reboot and see how much free space you have, it should also create a new Restore Point by doing the above

Strawballs 17:07 PM 09 Jun 11

have you tried running Ccleaner? But if it is getting that low I would suggest putting in second drive they are not that expensive. If IDE

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:11 PM 09 Jun 11

As well as the above - remove all the MSupdate restore points from windows

Make sure show hidden files and folders is set - open the C:\windows folder and you will see lots of files in BLUE starting with $ - these can all be deleted to save hard drive space.

DAKAR 17:21 PM 09 Jun 11

Thanks so much Woodchip,Strawballs and Fruit Bat /\0/\ I will give your suggestions a go and post back. Many thanks kind regards Dakar

kingussie 19:34 PM 09 Jun 11

Could someone give me the same info for an Imac with OSX

Strawballs 19:54 PM 09 Jun 11

Start your own thread or you won't get notifications of answers and if anybody does Dakar will get them.

DAKAR 15:46 PM 11 Jun 11

Hi guys I have carried out the clean up operation as suggested and now showing 230 MB free space but still occassionally get the window pop up telling me I am low on disc space. I wanted to remove Sonic as it is using a lot of disc space but I get the message network error occured while attempting to read from the file c:\WINDOWS\Installer\My DVD.MSI If this is a windows installer problem how can I fix it Regards Dakar

woodchip 15:50 PM 11 Jun 11

Its not enough, you need to remove some Programs and reinstall them to a External USB drive doing a Custom Install

DAKAR 16:16 PM 11 Jun 11

Hi woodchip I am having a problem unistalling some programmes and I have tried to uninstall Java and reinstall it because I was prompted on BT web site when I tried to do a speed test but I keep getting the message internal error 2753.regutils.dll Could it be a windows installer problem once I get this working then I can do as you suggest Thanks for your reply Regards Dakar

woodchip 21:41 PM 11 Jun 11

Have you tried uninstalling in Safe Mode using Add Remove Programs in Control Panel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Steve Albini's notorious email is now a punchy music video

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…