running IE & firefox togther?

mrwoo 21:40 02 Dec 05

I've been using firefox 1.0.7 as my default browswer for quite a while now. I wanted to check for any windows updates but the win updates site will only work with IE. My IE (v 6.0) wont open, giving the usual page cant be displayed message.

I have cheked the setting options it suggests & all is o.k. apart from PCT1.0 not being available to check.

I have gone into add\remove progs,set program access and defaults, and selected IE as the browser and uncheked firefox but the changes aren't kept when I close the window.

I've also selected reset IE defaults and ticked IE should check if it is he default browser under tools,internet optons,programs

despite all this IE still wont connect to the a web page.

Sorry for all the waffle. Hope you can help.

VoG II 21:42 02 Dec 05

There is no conflict between IE and Firefox - I'm typing this in Firefox but I have a couple vof IE windows open.

Try a repair of IE click here

Stuartli 00:30 03 Dec 05

I have no problems either with Firefox as the default and IE on standby for certain functions such as Windows Updates.

Even then I do Windows Updates using Firefox from the Security Bulletin page at click here or, alternatively, BigFix...:-)

Stuartli 00:32 03 Dec 05

Should read:

"Even then I normally do Windows Updates using Firefox..."

It's basically as a security/fully updated backup for IE if I do ever need to use this browser.

mrwoo 17:28 03 Dec 05

mmm, strange one this. i have used windows update from firefox before & only found out IE wasnt working baecause windows update from firefox gave this error :-
"Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.
To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website." which I've never seen before.

Both repair options in Vog's link (thanks Vog) didn't fix it, although the regedit option did allow me to reinstall IE6 but didnt fix it.

I ran registry mechanic from PC tools which found 49 errors and fixed all but 4, saying pay £15 to repair the others so I'm wondering if this could be cause? Does anyone know another registry check\fix tool I can try?

Have run AV\spyware scans which are clear.

VoG II 17:30 03 Dec 05

Try click here

It allows access to MS updates using Firefox.

VoG II 17:30 03 Dec 05

Registry tool click here

Chris the Ancien 20:35 03 Dec 05

Also useful by allowing a right-click open in IE

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…