Running a firewall

tonyx1302 21:03 01 Feb 08

Is there a need for my firewall to load at a startup or does it just run in the background ? I am just trying Armor Firewall(free)on XP home
with wireless router,and am not fully conversant yet with it. At the moment it starts at boot up and checks everything.

Thank you

Tony

recap 21:06 01 Feb 08

If you are connected to the Internet when you boot up then yes. I would keep it running.

tonyx1302 21:17 01 Feb 08

Thanks recap for coming back so quickly. I asked the question because since installing Armor, it takes a lot longer to boot up and my desktop seems to run a bit slower.

Tony

recap 21:23 01 Feb 08

Right I see what you mean now. Unistall Armor try Zonealarm or just run Windows Firewall.

click here for Zonealarm download.

tonyx1302 21:28 01 Feb 08

The Windows firewall doesn't get a very good press on the forum because evidently it only blocks incoming not outgoing (?). With ZA does that run at startup or monitor in the background?

Tony

recap 21:35 01 Feb 08

Zonealarm will run at start up and runs in the background, I have been using Zonealarm for years now without it effecting my computers.

tonyx1302 21:37 01 Feb 08

Many thanks recap. I'll dump Armor and give ZA a trial.

Tony

lester1 22:55 01 Feb 08

I have been using Zone Alarm for years on both win 98 and XP with no problems.Currently I am using Comodo on my Vista lappy again it is working very well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…