Running .exe files in Linux Linpus

Big Trev 22:20 26 Dec 08

I have an Acer Aspire One Laptop with Linux Linpus operating system. I am used to Windows XP.
I downloaded an anti-virus programme that would run on Linpus - Avast Home Edition - but when I click on the .exe file to install it, I am asked which application I'd like to use to run the programme. There doesn't seem to be anything appropriate on the list and I am used to .exe programmes just running and installing the programme. Can anybody help?

LastChip 22:44 26 Dec 08

You cannot run .exe files in Linux. They are a Windows contraption.

In the main, you don't download programs to run in Linux unless they have been written for Linux and you are prepared to compile them. In the main, that is not a good idea for Linux novices.

Either you have downloaded the wrong file, or just maybe, the vendors believe you can run it in "wine".

Your best bet, is to go to your package manager and install any extra programs you want from there. Look for "Pirut", open it and select the programs you want from within.

Welcome to Linux (and I mean that). Once you get the hang of it, you've got a system that in terms of security, leaves Windows in the cold. But you need to stop thinking like a Windows user and spend a little time leaning how to use Linux.

click here for something I wrote this past week, in a small attempt to start you off. There's also lots of other stuff on the site for novices, some of it written by me and some by others in my local Linux Users Group (LUG).

Incidentally, if anyone lives locally, we'd be delighted to see you and try and help with any problems you may have, as there's likely to be more Linux users after this Christmas.

You would also be well advised to read this click here which is specific to your distribution (distro).

Hope this helps and good luck.

octal 23:26 26 Dec 08

Incidentally, you don't need anti virus for Linux. There are virus for Linux but they have to be installed by the user and you are not likely to do that.

aquatarkus 01:32 27 Dec 08

My wife has just brought one of these the 120gig hard drive version with Linpus Linux preinstalled on it (her reason for buying was she liked the desktop) hadn't got a clue what Linux is or was. Unfortunatly there are / were to many limitations and a very steep learning curve to get this version (any version) of Linux to see my network shares, shared printer etc so have installed Windows XP on it instead. Would suggest you head over to click here for loads of info and help!

LastChip 02:10 27 Dec 08

Just use samba and you can cross network to your hearts content and use any printer on the network via CUPS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…