Running docs from usb drive

ricvic 17:38 19 Jul 07

I have a desktop and laptop and swap between the two. I have a number of files which I use or refer to regularly. I am considering putting those files, mostly office docs, spreadsheets and databases, on a usb drive and running them from there to ensure that I always have access to the most up to date versions.
Has anyone had bad experience of this?
The ideal would also be to put outlook files on the usb drive so that I have an up to date calendar, comments on the advisability of this would also be welcome.

Ta
R

ricvic 17:39 19 Jul 07

Since writing the above I notice a new thread from someone whose usb drive has crashed!

Batch 17:48 19 Jul 07

As far as word, excel docs etc., in principle it should not be a problem. BUT, as ever, you should always ensure that you make frequent, regular backups. I don't know that USB drives are that unreliable, but better to be safe.

WRT Outlook files, if you relocate them to a removable device, what happens if Outlook is started when the removble device is not present? It maybe OK and when you put the USB device in it then works OK (maybe with a restart of Outlook). But Microsfot (and others) tries to make their software fault tolerant - often when files cannot be found some alternative action (but usually at the "expected" location - which obviously wouldn't happen in this case).

The ideal when using multiple PCs with Outlook is to use Exchange Server (but this means having the host powered on even when another PC is being used as the client) - then you can access the mail, calendar etc. concurrently from more than one PC.

gel 17:57 19 Jul 07

Hello
I have a desk top and a lap top and keep all my information on memory sticks including pictures.
I have ensured that the programmes on the lap top and the desk top are the same.
I havce been using this method for 12 months and have had no problems.
I back up weekly to another memory stick.
Other than programmes
I have very little loaded in the computers.
Hope this helps
gel

gel 17:58 19 Jul 07

Hello
I have a desk top and a lap top and keep all my information on memory sticks including pictures.
I have ensured that the programmes on the lap top and the desk top are the same.
I havce been using this method for 12 months and have had no problems.
I back up weekly to another memory stick.
Other than programmes
I have very little loaded in the computers.
Hope this helps
gel

ricvic 19:06 19 Jul 07

Thanks for these helpful comments

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…