Running a computer using a generator

User-324448 11:44 15 Nov 03

Hi, living as I do in Mid Wales I have a pal who hopes to build his new home out in the sticks, it may be financialy prohibitive to have mains electricity, however he has four children, one already a teenager and the use of a computer is important, has anyone any experience of useing a computer fed from a 230 volt generator, what problems are likely and how are they overcome. Again thanks in anticipation Prof.

Diodorus Siculus 12:10 15 Nov 03

We have done this in the past and the only thing that you need to look out for is having a constant supply - generators are notorious for fluctuation in supply.

As the whole house will be run from the generator, ensure that there is a good regulator in positiion; further, get an uninteruptable powersupply (UPS) which will give time for the user to power down if there is a powercut. Finally, have a good surge protector between the pc and the power socket in the wall.

Belatucadrus 12:29 15 Nov 03

Yes, the issue is going to be power supply fluctuations from the generator. Sudden demand from other kit like kettles and water heaters can cause problems, so the UPS is pretty essential click here . This is partly dependant on the generator and what else is on the circuit, a 700Watt generator is less cpable of handling additional demand than a 3000Watt, but the temptation to load other stuff on is higher if the generator can handle it.

User-324448 13:11 15 Nov 03

The genny that will be used will be a large one, not one of the "market trader" honda's it will come on "on demand". Thanks for you input. prof

spikeychris 13:37 15 Nov 03

First time I rigged a UPS up to a genny it killed it.

Theres no problem if you get the right one though. We've set up numerous ones with a 16amp output and they run like a dream.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac