Running badly

Iceman244 13:44 28 Feb 09

I have decided to come on here as my laptop is driving me nuts, it is running like a complete dog and I hope somebody will be able to help.

Some background information in case it helps is.

ISP – Orange broadband

Anti-virus package – Norton

Telephone line – was BT but have now changed to Orange

The laptop is slow in every application; it takes ages the load the home page, application such as word and even loading word documents take ages to load as if the application is frozen in someway.

I have waited 15 minutes for word or word documents to load. Also sometimes they don’t close down properly either.

In fact closing anything down is not quick as it should be, you should click on the cross and whatever you are in should instantly shut down. Not on my laptop it again seems to freeze and take ages.

I don’t know if it is a coincidence but it does seem worse since I have changed my phone line from BT to Orange.

It has only been in the last week that I have had to turn the laptop off by the power button rather than shutting it down properly.

Of course I have run a full Norton system scan but don’t know what else to do.

A couple of times lately I have almost taken a hammer to the thing , but common sense and the fact that I need the thing and cant afford a new one right now has stopped me.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Iceman

MAJ 13:48 28 Feb 09

Have you done any 'housework' on it, like cleaning all the rubbish off, temp files, temp internet files? Have you run any antivirus or antimalware scans? What is the spec of the laptop, processor, amount of memory, operating system, etc.?

Kevscar1 14:05 28 Feb 09

go here

click here
run this and it will clean all the rubbish safely for you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:17 28 Feb 09

1. Software

a) Clear out all temporay files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :-
Superantispyware click here
Malware removal tool click here

Free Antivirus software
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus click here

c) Clean the registry -- Free Registry cleaners :-
RegscrubVistaXp click here
Regseeker click here
TweakNow RegCleaner 1.3.2 click here
Easycleaner click here ( Use with care, It advises you to back up the registry first, this is a good idea as it cleans rather aggressively. )

d) Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

e) Cut down on the programs that load at startup -- Start - Run type msconfig - startup tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

and the services that run in the background. click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:17 28 Feb 09

2. Hardware

a) Hard drives / IDE Channels:

i) Check the transfer rate, you need to have the transfer mode set to DMA not PIO.
Right click My Computer - Properties - Hardware - Device Manager - Expand (click the + ) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers right click Primary Channel - Advanced Settings Tab -
If transfer Mode is PIO then follow the instructions at click here to change.

ii) Check for errors and defrag your hard drives -- My Computer - select drive - properties - tool tab - Error checking / Defragmentation.

ii) If you are using Windows XP or Vista, it's a good idea to convert your system drive to the NTFS file system if you have not already. In addition to providing numerous security and data recovery improvements over FAT32 (the file system of choice for Windows 9x/ME and XP Home) it can also speed up your system slightly.

In fact, the only real reason for sticking with the FAT32 file system for any of your data is if you have more than one operating system on your PC and the other OS's can only see FAT32 partitions (as would be the case with Windows 98, for example, which is incapable of reading NTFS data).

To convert your drives to NTFS:
Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'
From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.'
Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information.
Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

b) Divers
Obtain the newest drivers for your hardware
This may seem a bit obvious, but keeping your system's drivers up to date can give both your performance and stability a boost. Video card manufacturers release updates especially often, and these can often give "significant boosts" to gaming performance as video card in question is "optimized."

Don't neglect the other components of your system either. Your motherboard manufacturer may have released newer versions of its Input/output drivers for your board, and sound cards and other peripherals can also benefit from newer software.

c) Memory
Add more physical memory, this of course means opening the "box" and fitting a memory module, make sure you buy one that is suitable for your PC. Crucial .com click here will guide you through the process of slecting the correct memory. click here for a guide to fitting memory.

Iceman244 20:37 12 Mar 09

Hi Fruit Bat

I am following the suggestions on your post and am up to downloading AVG antivirus.

But when I go to install AVG it says I should delete my other antivirus software.

My Antivirus software is Norton and I would like to know if it will be ok to un-install Norton and then install AVG.

Of course I would rather this because I have to pay around £60 for Norton and AVG is free. I just want to know I will be as well protected with AVG.

If you can let me know what you think I can carry on with your list of suggestions.

Many thanks

Iceman

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:07 12 Mar 09

You do not need another Antivirus if you are already using NORTON (although older versions can be a resource hog slowing your system) two AVs will conflict and give you all sorts of trouble..

Uninstall Norton (using their special tool) when the subscription expires and use one of the free ones they are highly recommended on this and other forums.

If you have scanned for viruses and malware and found nothing then forget b) although a backup scanner for malware is useful (superantispyware).

CCleaner has a registry cleaner built in run it a few time to fix and problems.

Iceman244 14:14 13 Mar 09

Hi Fruit Bat

Thanks again.

What is the special tool from Norton that you mentioned that I should use to un-install Norton?

Also do I un-install Norton before installing AVG or vice versa?

Thanks

Iceman

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:39 13 Mar 09

Removal tool click here

remove Norton then install AVG if that's the way you want to go.

Iceman244 10:59 21 Mar 09

Hi Fruit Bat

Thanks again for your reply.

I am going to remove Norton today and I just wanted to check if I just need to download AVG using you link above and nothing else.

And if this is the same type of protection that I was getting with Norton Internet Security?

Thanks

Iceman

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:49 21 Mar 09

Protection required for any home PC:-
1 firewall (the XP one is useless, Vista is OK)
1 Antivirus program
1 Antimalware running in realtime
1 Anti spam for your e-mails
Packaged suites give you all of this at a price.
some charge year after year for the updates.

Its nice to have a backup scanner and a blocker to compliment the above.

All of it can be had for free, but watch out for rogue software that purports to protect you but instead is ripping off your data, it best to work on recommendation from a good separate source i.e. this forum.

I have not used AVG for a while so just read carefully what it is providing, Antivirus and Antimalware?

My PC is flying along with no problems for years using
Sygate firewall
Avast antivirus
Windows defender with SuperAntispyware as a backup
and SpywareBlaster as a blocker
Spamahiliator for checking the mail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…