Running 32 bit software on 64 bit OS

climb45 22:18 30 Sep 09

I understand that 32 bit software will run on a 64 bit OS eg Windows Vista / 7 by dynamic translation from 32 bit instructions to 64 bit instructions. Can anybody explain how this works and what determines whether a piece of 32 bit software will work in this way?

woodchip 22:48 30 Sep 09

32bit should work easier as its less work for it to do running it. Have you tried it?

climb45 23:24 30 Sep 09

I haven't tried it yet, but I will be upgrading to Windows 7 soon and will have to decide whether to install the 32 or 64 bit version. I'm also trying to advise my brother-in-law on a new computer purchase and the system he's interested in only ships with a 64 bit OS, something which I'm sure will become increasingly the case. I have been unable to find clear information on how 32 bit software runs on a 64 bit system and what problems exist with this emulation.

OTT_Buzzard 00:02 01 Oct 09

The only way to find out if a specific 32 bit piece of software will work on 64 bit W7 is to ask the vendor (or try yourself!).

I use Vista 64 bit as my regular desktop and have only come accross 1 programme in the last 18 months or so that wouldn't run. The piece of software concerned was fairly old and written by an individual, not a software house.

Microsoft offer a bit swap service, so if your brother gets the system in question with a 64 bit OS and doesn't get on with it, Microsoft will swap it to the 32 bit version of the same operating system for a nominal fee (basically a handling and postage fee).

OTT_Buzzard 00:23 01 Oct 09

managed to find the bit-swap link! Thought I'd dreamed it for a minute!

click here

climb45 22:49 10 Oct 09

Thanks for the information. Think we will go for 64bit and see what happens.
OTT_Buzzard: Couldn't get onto the MS website. It kept coming up with an error message that Cookies have to be enable even though they are and I've cleared all the cache.

OTT_Buzzard 23:06 10 Oct 09

Try this link instead

click here

climb45 00:01 11 Oct 09

All I got was a blank screen that time, but a quick search on the URL in Google came up with the following site:

click here

Is this the same?

OTT_Buzzard 00:23 11 Oct 09

That's the one. Under the "Replacement OEM or system builder software media" heading, click the second link:

"If the product was distributed by an OEM or by a system builder, the product ID will contain the letters "OEM." Visit the following Microsoft Web site, select the appropriate product family, and then follow the steps to locate the product ID:

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=notsureoem (click here) "

climb45 20:01 11 Oct 09

Let's hope we don't have to resort to the bit-swap service! Many thanks for all your help OTT_Buzzard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…