Rundll fault on laptop

john bunyan 13:53 17 Feb 09

I have an old IBM thinkpad still on W98SE. Recently after launch a note appears : RUNDLL 32 caused a general protection fault in module DIBENG.DLL . "Illegal operation" etc.Also " There is a problem with your display settings. The adapter type is incorrect or the current settings do not work with your display" The screen has the appearance you get in safe mode. If I try to change the settings by right clicking the display it will not let me alter the settings - the above fault reappears. The rest of the PC seems ok. Is there a repair option? OEM on D Drive - cant access, but I have own w98SE disc. PC Doctor shows no faults with hardware.

Demora 14:02 17 Feb 09

Could be the driver for the graphics card.

Always woth checking out.

D

john bunyan 14:15 17 Feb 09

Yes I agree. Found a MS article KB235618 but when I go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, Settings - before I can go to Advanced to change the Adapter Tab, the RUNDLL 32 error appears and blocks any further input.

john bunyan 16:08 17 Feb 09

by running sfc I found 7 corrupt .dll's - setupx, mssign,cryptui,cryptnet,cryptext,mssip32 and ms???.
Had OEM on D Drive so could not get back ups. Will search for W98SE CD which I have somewhere, but is there an easier way, and how did these get corrupted? (have AVG7.5 and Superantspyware on this machine and have forgotten how to do the equivalent of system restore in W98.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:34 17 Feb 09

This may help click here

john bunyan 22:04 17 Feb 09

Thanks - will give it a try shortly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos