RUNDLL ERROR NOTICE

peterleay 17:51 21 May 04

This week I 'inherited'a worm which blocked my internet access. This has now been repaired but I can't get rid of the error message. Any ideas? But not too technical please! Peter

Smiler 17:59 21 May 04

What is the message in full? What was the worm? How did you get rid of it? Then someone may be able to help.

peterleay 18:35 21 May 04

It seems to have come in an email purporting to come from ntl staff. The meesage raeds:"Error loading C/Prog~1/NEWDOT 1/NEWDOT~2DLL. System cannot find the path specified". I then had an hour long 'session' with ntl's support line & they advised I download repair from click here
which I did onto a floppy disc at work then d/loaded it & instant repair! That site is really godd and idiot proof! It transpires that ntl have been badly affected by this worm since Sunday. But need to get rid of error message

Smiler 19:26 22 May 04

It looks like the worm installed a program which you have since removed but a reference to itis still somewhere in the start up files. Not sure how to find out which file it might be in such as win.ini or sys.ini. Is there someone out there who can help here.

stalion 19:28 22 May 04

did you turn of system restore before cleaning your computer Regards

Dan the Confused 19:40 22 May 04

Download Ad-Aware from click here and Spybot S&D from click here

Update them and run them.

peterleay 00:21 23 May 04

Stalion - no I didn't turn off system restore. Does that make a difference?
And Dan the Obscure - both Ad Aware & Spybot have been recommended to me. But is there a difference betwen them, or do they do the same job. And which one is the most 'idiot proof'?

Dan the Confused 00:39 23 May 04

Hey, I'm Dan not Jude! Anyway, they are both idiot proof and what one misses the other tends to get so it's best to run both.

peterleay 00:45 23 May 04

Sorry Dan!! I'm confused too! I'll have a look at both those spyware programmes...

Dan the Confused 00:47 23 May 04

You could also have a look at the NewDotNet client support page at click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now