Rundll

Mistydi 18:12 28 Oct 04

I am trying to make a shortcut for fast shutdown on my desktop. I keep getting a message that I cannot get rundll. Please can someone help?

GaT7 19:01 28 Oct 04

This any help?

Tired of needing to click Start --> Shut Down to shut down your computer? This How-To Article explains how to make it as easy as clicking a shortcut on the Desktop.

Important Note: The information provided in this article applies only to Microsoft Windows 98. This information in this article is not guaranteed to work with any other operating system.

Fast Shutdown

1. Right-click the Desktop, point to New, and select "Shortcut" from the menu that appears.

2. In the "Command line:" text box, enter: "C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE User,ExitWindows" (without the quotes).

3. Click Next.

4. Enter a name for your shortcut.

5. Click Finish.

6. The shortcut will now be created.

Important Note: Clicking this shortcut will immediately shut down your computer, without providing Shut Down options. Only click this shortcut when you are sure that you want to shut down.

Source: click here. G

Mistydi 11:47 29 Oct 04

Thank you to Crossbow7 for your reply but so far it has not worked!! My computer cannot find it.

dth 12:13 29 Oct 04

Windows\rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows

Note the space between exe and user

Mistydi 14:15 29 Oct 04

Thank you dth for your kind response but no it did not work, yet again!

dth 16:44 29 Oct 04

Sorry shoud have asked - what version of Windows
are you using?

The above only applies for win 95 / 98 / me - for Windows 2000 and XP the quick shutdown short cut is different.

GaT7 17:06 29 Oct 04

Mistydi, just received your message.

As dth mentions it's ONLY for Win9x/Me.

I just tried it on my PC (Win98se) & it works fine. Try it again...

1. COPY & PASTE the following into the Command line & press OK:

C:\Windows\Rundll32.EXE User,ExitWindows

2. If the above doesn't work try this (again COPY & PASTE):

C:\Windows\Rundll32 Shell32.dll,SHExitWindowEX 1

3. If still no joy (again COPY & PASTE):

C:\Windows\Rundll32 Shell32.dll,SHExitWindowEX 4

4. Finally this (again COPY & PASTE):

C:\Windows\Rundll32 Shell32.dll,SHExitWindowEX 8

You can have a look at the above: click here - if the correct spacing is not showing clearly & to see why a number appears at the end of some.

If you're using Win 2000 & WinXP: click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…