Run windows 98 programme in win 7

MuDelta 18:00 18 Feb 15
Answered

I bought my version of FootNote long ago in the days of W98 and it does all I need; I certainly don’t want to spend a fortune on the latest version. After running the compatibility wizard I have it successfully installed it on a machine with W7 Home Premium. I have another machine running W7 Professional but following the same method a I used for the Home Premium the programme will not install. I get the message that the programme is incompatible. Can it be because the Home programme is 32 bit and the Professional is 64. Any advice?

bumpkin 18:07 18 Feb 15

*Can it be because the Home programme is 32 bit and the Professional is 64 * Yes that is why it will not work.

MuDelta 11:47 19 Feb 15

does that mean all is lost?

lotvic 12:23 19 Feb 15

I am not familiar with the program 'Footnote' but a search chucked up this site for alternativeto.net/software/footnote/?platform=windows and the developer site for 'Footnote' where I think you can ask questions - it seems to be current as the last bug check is dated 12th Jan 2015 (although it meant little to me) launchpad.net/footnote

bumpkin 13:22 19 Feb 15

does that mean all is lost?

Not just yet, someone here may have a solution.

MuDelta 14:40 19 Feb 15

Ops!! I meant EndNote sorry. Check before you send!!

HondaMan 16:46 19 Feb 15
Answer

Two solutions occur to me: Run it in compatibility mode or (ii) Instal Win98 or XP as a virtual machine on your Win7 machine and run it from there

MuDelta 11:54 25 Feb 15

Thanks all. I will just use it in W7 home even though the machine is a bit slow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos