run time error XP pro

johnnyrocker 11:08 AM 10 Apr 12

this morning i get an ongoing message from allegedly microsoft saying i have a runtime error, it was alright when i closed last night , have run a full mbam sweep which found nothing any ideas? Xp pro sp3 etc

northumbria61 13:03 PM 10 Apr 12

Simplest solution might be to just run System Restore to a prior backup restore point (i.e., prior to the time this happened), assuming this is not a hardware issue.

johnnyrocker 20:00 PM 10 Apr 12

tried system restore and unfortunately no change, an AVG scan in safe mode found nothing?

Terry Brown 20:16 PM 10 Apr 12

Try running (from run) chkdsk /f

This will run a check of your hard drive and fix any errors it finds.

You may need your XP CD

lotvic 21:01 PM 10 Apr 12

Were there any clues/messages/error numbers, as to which software program was causing the error?

Did you try: close the pc down, unplug from mains, hold power button in for 30secs (to clear volatile memory and discharge any remaining power), then plug back in and boot up.

johnnyrocker 21:24 PM 10 Apr 12

the only clue given was internet explorer "unauthorised shutdown", tried sfc scan and it said file in use and offered to scan on next boot which i accepted. will try lotvics ideas now and thank you

johnnyrocker 21:40 PM 10 Apr 12

i would add that firefox has no problem. the error message was abnormal shutdown and not as i said "unauthorised"

rdave13 23:44 PM 10 Apr 12

Do you have Google Toolbar installed? Try uninstalling it if you have, to see if the error still occurs.

johnnyrocker 08:07 AM 11 Apr 12

i dont have google toolbar installed

johnnyrocker 09:00 AM 11 Apr 12

additionally i uninstalled and reinstalled explorer with no effects and these messages are doing my head in

lotvic 14:18 PM 11 Apr 12

It might be one of the addons conflicting or messed up

Do you still get the message if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (No add-ons)

Also have you cleared History and emptied the Temp folder and the Temp Internet Folder?

Start | Run | %Temp% | press OK (opens Windows Explorer at the Temp Folder so you can see the files)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Jean Jullien, Supermundane and more design badges for Farmdrop's 'local food revolution'

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know