run or save when downloading

tomcat_m2 22:16 09 Jul 06

i woukd like to know when to choose run or save when i download from the web. And then what is the next step to play the new download??

Thank you,
T

Stuartli 22:20 09 Jul 06

It depends on what you are downloading.

I use FreshDownload and all downloads go to a specific FreshDownload folder to ensure they are backed up.

However, I can also choose to Run the download after receiving it and still have the backup.

The time available to select Open/Run or just Save can be varied as required.

FreshDownload can be obtained at click here

sean-278262 22:21 09 Jul 06

It depends upon what you are downloading. If you are downloading a video then save is often the best option this saves it to your computer taking up hard drive space. However running it will open it in your media player (usually windows media player), this saves it to the drive for a short time while it is played and it then is removed afterwards.

The same applies to music and many other files. However you have not said what it is you are downloading.

As for saving it all you do is double click in windows xp and then it will open in the program it is meant to. If you have a problem regarding this please do give more information as we cant really help without more detail.

woodchip 22:32 09 Jul 06

I always Save

skidzy 22:57 09 Jul 06

I was advised a couple of years ago,always save the file/program etc and never run live (online) and always scan the file/program with your AV program before opening.This i have done ever since and luckily never had a major problem.

Maybe this is being over cautious but better safe than sorry i guess.

sean-278262 23:08 09 Jul 06

Totally agree, I overlooked that bit. However so long as you have propper AV protection tomcat_m2 you will be fine. As most of them nowadays can check the incoming files on the fly with the likes of autoprotect. Personally I save to one folder and sort it out before I turn off at night this keeps things easy to find and sorted. Anything I dont need I can delete, anything I want to back up I can there and then and anything I need to file elsewhere can be done with ease.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…