run or save option lost (Vista)

concise 00:11 AM 22 Oct 12

I seem to have unwittingly checked the 'always do this' box when downloading video clips so am now locked into the "save" mode. The "save or run" facility now seems to have disappeared. I don't know how to retrieve it to go back to the "save or run" option. Any advice gratefully received .

lotvic 01:04 AM 22 Oct 12

You don't say which browser you are using. If Firefox you can change the choice in: Tools | Internet Options | on the 'General' tab.

In IE: Internet Options | Security | click on the button 'Custom Level' | Scroll down till you find 'Downloads' "Automatic prompting for File Downloads" and set it to "Enable" and then click on OK

concise 10:21 AM 22 Oct 12

Many thanks lotvic. Firefox(sorry!) Found it under the 'Applications' tab. Cheers

Sea Urchin 11:42 AM 22 Oct 12

In Firefox the Applications tab lists which program opens which file in your system. As lotvic says it is under the general tab - "Always ask me where to save files".

concise 08:52 AM 23 Oct 12

You are absolutely right . I think I had the applications tab highlighted when writing my answer. Grovelling.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites