run or save option lost (Vista)

concise 22 Oct 12

I seem to have unwittingly checked the 'always do this' box when downloading video clips so am now locked into the "save" mode. The "save or run" facility now seems to have disappeared. I don't know how to retrieve it to go back to the "save or run" option. Any advice gratefully received .

lotvic 22 Oct 12

You don't say which browser you are using. If Firefox you can change the choice in: Tools | Internet Options | on the 'General' tab.

In IE: Internet Options | Security | click on the button 'Custom Level' | Scroll down till you find 'Downloads' "Automatic prompting for File Downloads" and set it to "Enable" and then click on OK

concise 22 Oct 12

Many thanks lotvic. Firefox(sorry!) Found it under the 'Applications' tab. Cheers

Sea Urchin 22 Oct 12

In Firefox the Applications tab lists which program opens which file in your system. As lotvic says it is under the general tab - "Always ask me where to save files".

concise 23 Oct 12

You are absolutely right . I think I had the applications tab highlighted when writing my answer. Grovelling.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

See 24 hours in London in 1 minute with Paul Richardson's hyperlapse film

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message