Run new SATA 2 hard drive on old motherboard

Happy37 10:48 23 Feb 11

Hello everyone

Further to my last posting, I will be replacing the second drive next week (this was an IDE one connected as a slave), with a brand new SATA one.

My PC has got an Intel Pentium 4 processor running at 2.4Ghz with 2GB of RAM. The motherboard is an ASUS P4PE with the last BIOS revision update 1007. (10/2003)

Here is the kit I have purchased to fit the hard drive in this PC:-

Hard drive:-

click here

Power/hard drive cable:-

click here

PCI SATA 2 card:-

click here

Please note that Windows XP is running on the IDE Western Digital 320GB hard drive. (Master on the Primary IDE channel)

All I want to do is to use the new SATA 1TB drive as an extra drive so that I can make a new partition and use it for data storage.

I know that I will need to install the PCI card into the PC with the drivers from the CD that comes with the card, hook up the new SATA drive to it as well as the power to the PSU.

So, is that it then?

The one thing/issue that I am worried about is how will the new PCI card pick up the old IDE drive, and how will it interact with the BIOS in my PC?

Will I have to change anything in the PC’s BIOS to get the new PCI card to work with both the new SATA and old IDE hard drives?

What about the BIOS boot order sequence? - does this matter, or will the add-on SATA PCI Card take care of this at boot-up time?

Will be most grateful for everyone’s' comments, as well as any hints/tips will be most welcome/appreciated too.

TIA.

Regards

Happy37

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:10 23 Feb 11

"The one thing/issue that I am worried about is how will the new PCI card pick up the old IDE drive,"

and how will it interact with the BIOS in my PC?

It won't

the BIOS should pick up the PCI card however depending on the Motherboard and BIOS the hard drive may not run until windows has loaded it own drivers for the board.

Quiller. 11:19 23 Feb 11

It will only run the maximum speed of the pci bus. i.e. the best IDE drive.

Unless you are going to upgrade to a faster system later, you'd have less fusss and expence using an ide drive.

Happy37 11:33 23 Feb 11

@ Fruit Bat /\0/\

Thanks for letting me know.

@ Dick Tattor

Thanks - I am now confused. I thought that the whole point of my putting in a PCI SATA 2 card with a new SATA 2 hard drive was exactly that?

The PC should pick up the PCI SATA card once the drivers have been installed for it from the CD. Once this is done, should the new drive then not work in Windows XP?

What am I missing here? - please clarify further.

Many thanks.

Regards

Happy37

Happy37 12:07 23 Feb 11

Hello everyone...

Here is another link that I have just found on the Internet which explains further as to what I am trying to do with the setup above:-

click here

All comments/thoughts appreciated.

Should this work or not?

Regards

Happy37

Happy37 14:30 23 Feb 11

Can anyone please help or advise with regards to the link I have given?

Many thanks.

Regards

Happy37

woodchip 14:48 23 Feb 11

Yes the link is correct, take note of the type of card to buy, one with its own BIOS. But as above I don't think its going to make much difference to Speed, If you have not bought Hardware yet you would be better investing in two 500Gb IDE drives and a controller card if you need extra IDE slot.

PS two Drives will not blow at the same time if one goes you still have the other not a full 1T drive up the spout

Quiller. 15:41 23 Feb 11

the PCI bus. The pci bus is limited to the bandwidth of data it can transmit and receive.

It will not run at SATA11 300Mb/s speed. With the hard drive cache, the fastest will be 133MBytes/sec droping down to around 50MBytes/sec when the cache is emptied.

GaT7 15:55 23 Feb 11

Guys, I think Happy37 is opting for a SATA drive not because of the speed, but mainly for the much lower price (correct me if I'm wrong Happy37).

Happy37, here are a few more cheaper SATA 1Tb options to consider (if you haven't purchased one already) click here, click here & click here.

Btw, if you find the PCI SATA card doesn't work as it should, you could always buy an external USB caddy for the SATA drive. I could post suggestions if required at the time. G

Happy37 17:42 23 Feb 11

Many thanks to all that replied.

Here is the card that I purchased:-

click here

@woodchip:

Yes, this card does indeed have its own BIOS, so do you things should work, especially if it has its own BIOS?

So, should I just install this card and let it do its own thing after the BIOS of the PC finishes doing its load-up routine? Will it just kick in and detect the new SATA 2 drive and go on from there?

How would it work? - please let me know.

Thanks again.

Regards

Happy37

gazzaho 18:09 23 Feb 11

I'm wondering if a SATA USB drive dock (click here) wouldn't do the same thing. It's less elegant because of the drive and dock being outside the system case and therefor the drive is exposed, it would also be slowed to USB transfer speeds but you can switch drives easily if/when one is full. I bought one which supports SATA 3.5", 2.5" and IDE drives, although for IDE drives you need to use cables as the plug in dock only works with the SATA type drives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video