'Run' menu keeps clearing

Graham ® 16:52 19 Sep 05

XP Home. I've noticed recently that when I use Run, the box is blank, whereas it should have all the previous commands in the drop-down menu.

I Googled for this click here, but I can't see the \RunMRU entry.

Any ideas, please?

ade.h 17:01 19 Sep 05

Have you run CCleaner, Ad-Aware, or a similar utility recently? They remove MRUs if you let them.

Graham ® 17:25 19 Sep 05

Thanks, I've run Ad-Aware recently, so that may be the cause. Do I need to recreate the Registry entry?

Graham ® 17:27 19 Sep 05

What do you think of click here?

ade.h 18:58 21 Sep 05

Sorry for the delay in replying, Graham. I wasn't sure whether Windows would recreate that entry when required, or indeed, whether its loss was all that significant. So asked a friend who is an IT support chappie and he said he wasn't sure either! He did say that once a registry line is removed, it's lost forever unless the app that uses it is re-installed, or a registry backup file is used. Which goes to show how important it is to backup the registry before delving in to it! However, you didn't actually say that you had deleted it yourself, so assume that you haven't done so. Ad-aware would not remove it, but just delete the lists to which it refers. So if it's not there, or you can't find it, I wouldn't worry too much, as the MRU lists that were found by Ad-aware suggest that the MRU system is working anyway.

ade.h 19:03 21 Sep 05

As for RunMRU Manager, I've not heard of it, never mind used it, so I'm not in a position to recommend it or otherwise. I'm the cautious type, so I tend only to use free software that has come with some form of recommendation or is widely known to be good. See if RunMRU Manager is available from well-known download sites like Tucows, Major Geeks or C¦Net. If it is, then maybe give it a go.

Graham ® 19:44 21 Sep 05

RunMRU has re-appeared in the Registry with two recent entries, so it's back to normal.

I'm going to run Ad-Aware again to see if that is responsible for the problem.

Graham ® 20:08 21 Sep 05

I didn't select the MRU list to be removed after the scan, so everything is intact. Something to be aware of, I think.

ade.h 20:49 21 Sep 05

Glad to hear that it's all okay. I tend to leave the MRUs because they are useful in many apps (MS Office, Media Player, etc) and don't reveal anything suspicious to spyware.

VoG II 18:53 23 Sep 05

Found click here by accident.

VoG II 18:55 23 Sep 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…