run a dll as app has encountered a problem

ted bear 10:46 10 Apr 04

hi every time i try to change my settings i get run a dll as a app has encountered a problem and needs to close - my graphics card is a geforce 2- mx400 please help

Gongoozler 10:56 10 Apr 04

Hi ted bear. Rundll gets the blame for a lot of problems. This is because it is a small application that is used to access DLL files, and Windows uses a lot of DLLs. The problem usually lies in the DLL being accessed. The full error message usually gives a clue as to what DLL it is that's in trouble.

What version of Windows are you using, did you recently install some software or update a driver that might be causing the problem, and is there more to the error message that you can tell us?

ted bear 11:05 10 Apr 04

hi - im on xp pro and i'd done nothing as far as i know. iv tried changing card and re installing drivers but get same message with either card ( both cards geforce2 mx 400)

ted bear 11:09 10 Apr 04

it started off as a dvd player problem - i couldnt get my player to recognise dvd's and then got message that my graphics card tv out was open and stopping dvd from playing due to security -i then tried to have a look at my card settings and got dll message

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 11:43 10 Apr 04

This error with DVDs you get a lot with the nvidea drivers i was having it all the time,not had it for a while tho as my DVD drive is kaput lol,but it never turned into a Dll error.Usually it was the Desk.cpl error with card settings but not sure if xp pro has that file,usually updating the drivers or reinstalling cures it,you have a fairly old card
so the newer drivers may cause problems can u put the original drivers back that you got with your card? may help.

Regards.

ted bear 15:59 10 Apr 04

thanks nickname have tried that and was no different :-(

Gongoozler 18:45 10 Apr 04

Hi ted bear, can you tell us the exact error message as it may give a better idea of what the problem is.

ted bear 20:57 10 Apr 04

the exact message was :- "run dll as an app has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience". not a lot of help really im afraid.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 00:42 11 Apr 04

Try turning off all the nview options these use .dll may help.

Regards.

ted bear 00:50 11 Apr 04

i loaded new flash bios and reloaded old drivers again and one of them did the trick for my graphics card - but still no joy with my dvd player - when i load a dvd it never seems to kickstart and when i look in MYCOMPUTER cd/dvd player shows but doesnt show contents if dvd - it shows contents if cd

Gongoozler 08:03 11 Apr 04

This site suggests that spyware can cause the "run a dll" problem click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…