Run command gone missing!

Graham ® 15:58 18 Dec 05

It's still in the Start menu. I've tried System Restore. Windows XP.

Last thing I ran was CCleaner. I'm on the horns of a dilemna. That's if they still have horns.

ade.h 16:04 18 Dec 05

The fact that it's still listed but the shortcut does not work suggests that the path of the shortcut has for some reason gone wrong.

Not sure how you would cure this though.

ade.h 16:11 18 Dec 05

With most Start menu and desktop shortcuts, the path is listed in the properties box, but Run has no properties box, so a reg edit is probably the best bet.

Search the registry for run.

Graham ® 16:13 18 Dec 05

Can't get to the Registry!

VoG II 16:32 18 Dec 05

click here line 57, right hand column.

ade.h 16:35 18 Dec 05

Can't get to the registry.

No, of course. Doh!!

Graham ® 16:44 18 Dec 05

My Network Places had appeared in the Start menu, so Run was still there if you right clicked under the last item.

Removing Network Places solved the dilemna. Thanks to all who tried to help.

ade.h 17:19 18 Dec 05

If you're using any kind of network, wired or wifi, and you access shared folders via the Network Places link in My Computer, you may find that the corresponding Start menu entry "helpfully" comes back.

Something to watch out for if you have the left pane of the menu set up to show a certain number of the last-used programs. If you change the number of last-used progs to be displayed to zero (in Start menu properties) and then pin a sufficient number of your favourite progs to the left pane, you should find that this will give enough height for the Run command to stay put if Network Places comes back.

By default, the menu shows a dynamically changing list of programs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5