Run - CMD - netstat -a

wams 18:40 07 Apr 09

when i Run Command Prompt(CMD)and enter netstat -a to access my Active Connections, my ISP has told me that, to improve my connection speed i need to reduce the amount of UDP/TCP to a minium of 5! How do i go about reducing the the numbers of UDP/TCP to 5?

Packard Bell Easy note A8
OS-XP

NB. I have not used the Forums for a few years. I have also read the forum rules to refresh myself and searched for similar titles.

Many thanks

Wams

recap 20:45 07 Apr 09

To configure TCP/IP filtering in Windows XP,

In Control Panel (default view), click Network and Internet Connections.

Click Network Connections.

In Network Connections, right-click the local area connection you want to modify, and then click Properties.

On the General tab, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the list of components, and then click Properties.

Click Advanced.

Click the Options tab, click TCP/IP filtering, and then click Properties.

In the TCP/IP Filtering dialog box, select the Enable TCP/IP Filtering check box and then add the numbers of all TCP and UDP ports and all IP protocols for which you want filtering enabled.

Click OK

wams 21:12 07 Apr 09

Now that I have followed your guide lines.

I have 60 UDP numbers and 10 TCP numbers. The TCP numbers are showing status as LISTENING and CLOSE-WAIT.

What does LISTENING and CLOSE-WAIT mean?

How do i know what TCP and UDP numbers to enable?

brundle 21:59 07 Apr 09

I would ignore that "advice" (from your ISP) - the connections aren't all used for internet traffic, and having lots of connections active doesn't necessarily mean you're using a lot of bandwidth. Install a good firewall and let it manage the essential connections on its own. click here
That link is for the stand-alone pre version 3 Comodo firewall, after that a whole security suite is bundled with it.

Monitor your internet use in terms of uploads and downloads. That's all the average person should have to keep an eye on. click here

Without any details of your connection method, ISP, etc it's hard to advise on improving your connection speed, but there are a wide variety of things to look at before you have to start examining every single packet leaving and entering your machine (that's what a firewall's for!).

wams 22:39 07 Apr 09

The last thing I want to do is start messing around techincally thats well beyond my knowledge and experience.

I have stopped using Virgin Media PC Guard and recently installed my original pre-Norton Internet Security 2005.

So i believe my next step is to disable Norton's 2005 firewall and let Comodo firewall take its place.

brundle 23:14 07 Apr 09

If you're happy with the Norton one, keep it, though I think a free AV will protect you better than a 4 year old version of Norton. PCGuard is less than effective so getting rid of that is a good move.

Avast recommended, followed by Antivir then AVG. Spyware protection built in to Avast and AVG. You will need the firewall if you decide to ditch Norton. Read this useful thread for more info on freebies; click here

If you're happy with the Norton one, keep it, though I think a free AV will protect you better than a 4 year old version of Norton. PCGuard is less than effective so getting rid of that is a good move.

Avast recommended, followed by Antivir then AVG. Spyware protection built in to Avast and AVG. You will need the firewall if you decide to ditch Norton. Read this useful thread for more info on freebies; click here

oops posted twice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…