Run both SATA & PATA HDDs together.

My motherboard has support for both IDE HDD & also SATA 1.0, I want to add a 2nd Large capacity HDD can I leave my existing HDD on the IDE port & run the new SATA HDD on the SATA port?.

ed-0 11:20 28 Jun 06

Yes.

Thanks ed-o

ed-0 11:53 28 Jun 06

Sorry, that was a bit short.

If your new drive is a SATA drive and you just want it for storage. Then just connect the SATA cables to the motherboard and boot up. Format the drive in disk management and away you go. No need to alter any settings in the bios.

If you want the new hard drive to hold the operating system and programmes. Do as above and use the manufactures clone disk to clone from the IDE drive to the SATA drive ( or use acronis if you have it ). Then change the boot order in the bios so that the SATA drive boots before the IDE. You could then format the IDE drive for spare hard drive space.

ed-0
Does it matter which type of Sata HDD I fit? i.e.Sata 150 or 300 I assume that it may not operate at optimal effiency but in the long term a Sata300 HDD would be the best buy? new drive would be used for storage & video for editing purposes.
Many thanks for your help!!

ed-0 19:37 28 Jun 06

Go for SATA 300, post which drive you hope to get. Then some one will check that you can fit a jumper so it will run on a SATA 150 mobo.

Although they don't have master > slave jumpers. Most have manuafacturing testing jumpers. These jumpers should make the drive work on your motherboard. It maes good sense for future use.

ed-0

Hopefully either Seagate Barrcuda ST3250820AS or Maxtor Diamondmax 6V250F0 both 250GB, the Maxtor has a larger cache which I think would be an advantage.
Possibly you may be able to recomend a suitable drive of similar capacity?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:47 28 Jun 06

SATA 2 (SATA 300) is not backwards compatible with a SATA (SATA 150) controller. In order to use a SATA 2 drive on a SATA (SATA 1?) controller, the hard drive must have a jumper position to restrict it to using SATA (SATA 150), and a jumper must be installed. Some drives have the jumper position available (e.g. some recent Samsung), some don't (e.g. some recent Maxtor).
This information can also probably be easily found on your hard drive manufacturer's web site.
If your drive does not have the jumper position available, you must return it and get a SATA 2 one that does, or a SATA drive.

Some motherboards will not let you bbot from the PATA drive with a SATA drve connected.

ed-0 23:09 28 Jun 06

the Seagate Barrcuda should be fine, can't find much about the maxtor. Western digital should also be fine and here is the jumper settings. click here

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all your help, particularly ed-0

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…