Rugby Club website

manrow 10:29 13 Mar 08

I am hoping to be able to set up a website for a local amateur rugby club; I hasten to add I have no experience of this whatsoever!

Googling brings up many companies offering to host, design etc., at a cost which the club could not support.

Where should I start considering hosting, design software, etc? I am not intending to include a message board but would need to easily post match reports and other information several times weekly.

Clues please, and if good enough the more free sites you can offer the better!

MAJ 11:25 13 Mar 08

How much is the club willing to support, manrow? Hosting isn't that expensive but designing a site can be. Do you have a domain name already for the site?

manrow 11:32 13 Mar 08

MAJ

Have not settled on a domain name yet. Had thought that perhaps everything could come in a complete package. The club would accept the initial setup costs and annual hosting fees but are hoping to avoid paying someone else to set it up, hence my amateur involvement, having the time.

MAJ 12:18 13 Mar 08

Personally, then, manrow, I would go with someone like Heart Internet click here (there are others) who charge about £40 for the first year hosting and about £30 every year after that (the Starter Professional option) and about £6 for two years for a .co.uk Domain name.

That leaves all the designing and updating to you.

MAJ 12:23 13 Mar 08

Forgot to say, manrow, Heart also offer some free hosting and you can use that if you have a domain name with them. The only drawback with that option is that there isn't a lot of a monthly bandwidth allowance (100MB, I think), so you don't need to have many hits on the site before that's used up. It's okay for setting the site up and testing though, before buying your 'real' hosting.

UncleP 22:02 13 Mar 08

My feeling is that you are missing out on an important and useful source of information - other rugby clubs that have been through the same process. I haven't played competitive rugby for over fifty years, so I don't know how the amateur game is organised today. But there should be a national or county organisation which will have a list of existing club websites. If you're lucky, there may be someone in that organisation who takes a special interest in promoting the game through the Internet, and can provide tips and contacts to advise on what you need to do.

If not, look up the websites for both amateur and professional clubs. They will give you some ideas on good design and useful content. Some will give the name and e-mail address of the web manager, and a few of those are enthusiasts who will be willing to advise and help.

Most sports recognise the value of having a network of club websites on the Internet to publicise the game and enhance communications. A few actively encourage local clubs to join up - let's hope that rugby is one of them!

manrow 08:10 14 Mar 08

A brilliant idea UncleP.

At least they may be able to provide me with a template so that I can fill in the boxes!

gazcoyle 12:26 18 Mar 08

Hey manrow, feel free to download and use as a template a website which i designed and update for a local amateur rugby league club.

Its pretty basic, made with frontpage 2003, theres no bells and whistles but it does what it needs to do.

click here

manrow 20:36 18 Mar 08

gazcoyle

Have sent PM so we can discuss how to use your template.

A very kind sporting offer. Thanks.

gazcoyle 09:36 19 Mar 08

OK, im new here so where do i read my PM's

manrow 10:06 19 Mar 08

gazcoyle

I believe if you click on the letter symbol next to my name in my message you will be able to send a message which will go to my email address. Although it sounds as though you have not received mine??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017