Is this rubbish or what

alcudia 12:44 17 Sep 03

Just solved a problem with Windows Update on a new Evesham PC.

The cause was that the clock said 17 Sept 2004.

Evesham say that they do this deliberately because it stops the Blaster virus. They should therefore have known why update was failing, but had no idea at all. A waste of space.

But why should the date stop Blaster?

Has anyone heard of this before?

Gaz 25 12:49 17 Sep 03

No, it doen not remove blaster worm, but it removes the Nachia (aka. Welchia worm) which is just the same, but removes blaster and downloads the updates for you.

They suggested that becuase the Nachia worm removes itself when the system date is 2004.

click here

mdshamilton 12:50 17 Sep 03

Sounds like a load of rubbish and poor setting up. Wouldn't dates in documents then be wrong too?

Jester2K II 12:51 17 Sep 03

Purest poppycock..........

Jester2K II 12:52 17 Sep 03

It would have been better to install the patch against the RPC Viruses rather than mess about with the time...

JIM 13:07 17 Sep 03

Again oddly the virus removes itself when the system date is 2004.

As Jester2K II has posted i would agree with install the patch against the RPC Viruses,but poss Evesham gave you the quick fix to get you out of trouble till you installed all patches.

Personally if that cured the problem at the time,it was a smart move, so with repect A waste of space may not be the case. If you run Evesham big fix they were on the ball for advance warning in most cases.

Gaz 25 good link well worth reading.

alcudia 13:21 17 Sep 03

Ok, fair enough.

BUT they should have known this was the cause of update failing.

It was not really a fix because I could not install the updates until I had corrected the time.

Anyway all's ok now so I shal tick.

-pops- 13:22 17 Sep 03

Rubbish or not it's a very poor show to send a computer out like this and if, by chance, it is deliberate, there should be an explanation of the reason for it. There should also be details of a way of convincing programs that rely on correct dates to function correctly (those on a time limited subscription, for instance) how to operate.

Perhaps Evesham would like to comment through these pages.

alcudia 13:22 17 Sep 03

Just on aside to this. This PC was delivered with XP installed and activated.
I have had this before from Evesham and wonder if it is normal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…