RTHDCPL.EXE - Illegal System DLL Relocation

Jeecie 21:20 04 Apr 07

"RTHDCPL.EXE - Illegal System DLL Relocation
The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occurred because the DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\HHCRTL.OCX occupied an address range reserved for Windows systems DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL."

I updated Windows XP Home Edition SP2 last night and when I re-booted the laptop this morning I got the above error message pop up.

After some searching around I found Microsoft have published click here (Article no. 935488) a hotfix for it which can be downloaded (click here).

I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else has the same problem!

Best wishes
Jeecie :)

VoG II 21:23 04 Apr 07
  Jeecie 21:27 04 Apr 07

Ahhh good too know I'm not the only one with this problem then? Plus... glad to know people are able to get it sorted.
Cheers VoG !!

gerryp25 22:10 04 Apr 07

Thanks to all concerned with this fix, I too had a Windows Update last night which stopped one of my programmes from working. All is well now.

pasta bake 22:50 04 Apr 07

Jeeciem yir a gem. I too automatically got this prob aft d/loading updates yest.cheers.

ukthesis 00:18 05 Apr 07

All it mentions is:

"Install this update to resolve an issue where the Realtek HD Audio Control Panel may not start after you install security update KB925902 (MS07-017) and security update KB928843 (MS07-008).

Not clear how this relates to RTHDCPL.EXE. What's the connection?

Jake_027 00:34 05 Apr 07

RTHDCPL.EXE is the file that loads the sound card driver at start up. RT=RealTek HD=High Definition CPL=ControlPaneL. EXE=Execute.

Hope this helps

Jake

AubreyS 01:24 05 Apr 07

I've also had the same problem tonight. All appears OK now.

Thanks Jeecie for the fix.

FatboySlim71 09:36 05 Apr 07

Thanks Jeecie, I too have the same problem, I will now run the fix and see if it sorts the problem. Thanks again.

ukthesis 10:40 05 Apr 07

It worked for a few hours. But the fault is back !! I switched on the PC today and it came back. What seems to happen is that it AUTOMATICALLY "updates" the security options when I restart the PC. So it keeps on putting this thing in there. How can I prevent this particular "update" from automatically occurring?

FatboySlim71 23:01 06 Apr 07

ukthesis, I had the same problem, it come back the next day, to solve it I downloaded and saved this to a memorable place on my PC, then I just ran it when the problem came back, touch wood the problem has not returned.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…