"RTHDCPL.EXE - Illegal System DLL Relocation"

DIYgirl 09:53 04 Apr 07

When I switched the computer on this morning I got the following error message:

"RTHDCPL.EXE - Illegal System DLL Relocation

"The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occurred because the DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\HHCTRL.OCX occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL."

I've been away for a few days; got back last night, went on the internet for a while during which a couple of updates were automatically downloaded. I can't see any obvious problems with the way the computer is running at the moment, but is something lurking, ready to explode?

DIYgirl 09:57 04 Apr 07

Ooops. I should have said: I'm running Windows XP (Professional, I think) on my computer. I suspect that might be useful to know!

Nellie2 10:27 04 Apr 07

It's a known problem with the last security update. There is a hotfix available click here

Shas 10:30 04 Apr 07

I got the same message last night when my machine rebooted after an auto update. A Google search says "hhctrl.ocx is a Microsoft ActiveX which supports all functions of the user help interface, not a critical component" Everything seemed to work ok so I ignored it at the time, intending to check it out more later.

DIYgirl 11:04 04 Apr 07

Nellie2, thanks for letting me know. What I now can't work out is which of the fixes on your page is the one that I need to use!

Sorry. I am dense. But I am at least trying to sort this out!

Nellie2 13:24 04 Apr 07

This is the direct download for the hotfix click here

amyfleur 13:40 04 Apr 07

Well, I had just drafted the same question ready to ask HELPLINE on PC Advisor, after turning on my PC a few minutes ago (I had a Microsoft download last time I shut down my PC earlier this morning) and thanks to DIYgirl's TITLE / question and Nellie2's answer I am now clean.

Thank you DIYgirl
Thank you Nellie2

Squib 16:51 04 Apr 07

Just the same as amyfleur!! Thanks to all of you. CP.

trisha01 17:16 04 Apr 07

I got the same thing this morning as well

Many thx!

DIYgirl 17:50 04 Apr 07

I've now downloaded Nellie2's fix and all is working properly. Thank you, Nellie2. Much appreciated.

doc twit 20:46 04 Apr 07

thanks for the fix Nellie2!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…