RSS - what's the point?

tasslehoff burrfoot 21:46 29 Jul 05

Okay, following this thread click here

I thought I'd give it a try. Put the URL into my reader software and got the headline news that's on this site. Double clicked it and it just opened this site in the window and asked me to log in.

I already am logged in. So what's the point of these RSS things? I thought it would give me the news that's on the site without having to visit the site.

It would also be nice if it gave me thread titles as they are posted.

Perhaps I just let my imagination get the better of me and expected too much?

Or am I doing something wrong?

Using sharpreader BTW.

Tas

kinger 22:16 29 Jul 05

The original idea of RSS feeds was to give subscribers useful information without the need for them to visit the site.

Lately, though, I've found that sites want to make money from them, so lead you back to the site to sell you something.

Also, more advertising is becoming apparent. There never used to be any, now it's spoiling the idea of RSS feeds.

Kev.Ifty 23:07 29 Jul 05

Heres a free RSS thingy click here

If you have a quite number of sites from which you need to receive news then this RSS thing may be useful. After all it will save you having to visit every site, just to get updated.

powerless 23:47 29 Jul 05

Yes.

The PCA RSS link is for the news click here articles only of which 3 OR so are posted daily [mon - fri].

I have 30 RSS feeds, some are news sorces, some are one man bands. No need to visit 30 websites as they come to me.

The RSS bit only gives me a taste of the news and so clicking the link takes me to the actual website, where there is more to read.

The RSS thingeee is in it's infancy!!! click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…