RSI from using mouse

Jackcoms 14:07 13 Jul 05

An odd question perhaps, but it is PC related!

I've just been to see my Doctor who diagnosed RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury) from using a computer mouse!

He did mention that there is a new style of mouse available which uses a different wrist action and, thus, may avoid RSI. However, he wasn't able to tell me anything about the new style or make of mouse or where I can buy them.

Does anybody in the Forum know about these new mice and where to buy them?

vinnyT 16:20 13 Jul 05

There are a number of devices that are designed to help with rsi.

The device your gp is thinking of is prob. the trackball, this is a kind of upside down mouse, which you use with your thumb.

You may like to try using a graphics tablet, where the stylus is used rather than a mouse and feels like using a pen. Not just for drawing or paint progs.

Theres also speech recognition software, nowadays this is much improved.

This site takes you to a page showing the Logitech family of Trackballs, has some pics so you can see what they look like. click here

I suggest that you go to a large pc store and try out the diff styles to see if any suit you.

Also, google rsi, tracball, etc. to get more info on the subject (I just did and there's loads).

Hope this helps.

Aspman 17:04 13 Jul 05

Have a look at this.

click here

there are other similarly shaped mice about but I can't remember names.

Belatucadrus 17:16 13 Jul 05

Using a mouse pad with a built in wrist rest is also a good idea.

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

for ergonomic mice, not cheap though.

€dstowe 18:03 13 Jul 05

Even if you change the style of mouse, I think it is important that you rest the affected wrist completely until all discomfort has gone - and then some time after that. That will mean having a rest from computing unless you can use your other hand.

Jackcoms 19:12 13 Jul 05

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm now rather spoilt for alternative choices and will spend some time looking at the various mice (I didn't realise there were so many available!).

€dstowe
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, it's not easy to give up computing completely. Whilst I might be able to stop my personal computing at home, I'm not sure how my employer will react if I 'down tools'. ;-((

€dstowe 19:43 13 Jul 05

If you don't stop using the affected wrist, it will not heal - simple as that.

Lionheart ? 20:05 13 Jul 05

Employers have a legal duty under the Health and Safety Act 1974 and Safety at Work Regulations 1999.

Contact your employer's occupational health advisers about modifying your workstation so that it is ergonomically sound.

Belatucadrus 10:59 14 Jul 05

Useful RSI links, including notes on your employers responsibilities to provide suitable equipment.

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…