RPM Control??? on the PSU

athertpa 08:27 17 Oct 09

Hi

I am in the middle of building my first ever pc. Be Quiet darp pro 650 has a rpm control connector (which I believe regulates the fan on the psu).

Where do I connect this on the mobo??? I have an msi 790fx mobo.

Thanks for your help

Paul

crosstrainer 09:31 17 Oct 09

Are you saying that you have 2 connections from the CPU fan? If it's only one than it should be connected to the pins marked CPU fan (refer to your mobo manual) If it has an additional connector (as I suspect) then I'm at a bit of a loss as to where you would connect it....You could try it on a spare fan connection on the board (usually system fan, aux fan etc.) But I'm not sure if that would show up in the BIOS as the cpu RPM controller.

If all else fails, contact the company and ask them...It may be that your board will not support the extra connection.

AMD CPU's have "Cool and quiet" built in, but it's just one connection.

ambra4 10:35 17 Oct 09

“Be Quiet darp pro 650 has a rpm control connector (which I believe regulates the fan on the psu)”

“Where do I connect this on the mobo??? I have an msi 790fx mobo”

On the MSI 790FX-GD70 Series motherboard their is 5-fan connection that can be used as

follows: -

CPU Fan – CPU

SYS Fan 1 – Memory Chips Fan

“CORSAIR CMXAF1 FAN”

click here

SYS Fan 2 – Hard Drive Fan

Scythe Ita Kaze Hard Drive Cooler

click here

SYS Fan 3 - Power Supply Fan

SYS Fan 4 – Case Fan

crosstrainer 11:29 17 Oct 09

Well spotted, I'm not familiar with the board in question, but thought there was probably a way....That cpu cooler / fan assembly has 2 connectors then, or just the one five pin (for future reference) :))

User-312386 11:39 17 Oct 09

looking at the PSU it goes into a 3 pin on the motherboard and is connected and run via the BIOS

ambra4 12:22 17 Oct 09

Crosstrainer

No there are 5 separate fans connectors on the motherboard listed as above

crosstrainer 13:10 17 Oct 09

No, I meant on the CPU / cooler assembly itself?

I am Spartacus 13:19 17 Oct 09

The Be Quiet 650 has an automated self regulated fan. The 4 connectors on the power supply are to connect case fans.

ambra4 13:41 17 Oct 09

Crosstrainer

“Are you saying that you have 2 connections from the CPU fan?”

I believe you have it wrong

The “Be Quiet Dark Pro 650 Power Supply Unit” has a special connector that you can connect

to one of motherboard fan connector and would control the speed of the power supply fan

1 x 24 Pin Motherboard Connector with Adaptor to 20 Pin

1 x RPM Control (3pin)

click here

The CPU connector on the motherboard is a 4-pin connector that will also allow a normal 3-pin

CPU fan to be connected

crosstrainer 13:46 17 Oct 09

Yep, thought that's how it was...Noted for future :))

I am Spartacus 13:57 17 Oct 09

The RPM control cable does not control the fan, it's a sensor that will report the speed only. It can be plugged into the motherboard and something like HWMonitor click here will report the speed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced