rpc virus thingy

marcus22798 14:11 13 Aug 03

I've read stuff posted here on the above virus/worm whatever and need some help.

i'm a complete novice when it comes to viruses etc so i'd really appreciate some simple to follow advice to sort this problem out.

i've recently purchased a new pc and have yet to install any anti-virus software - so it was just my luck that i get infected.

what should i do first to remove the virus??

Also I have norton antivirus 2003 should i install this before i remove the virus or wll the installation fail??

JoeC 14:13 13 Aug 03
  MjM Hellfire 14:14 13 Aug 03

The RPC virus usually restarts your PC, making it almost impossible to patch or install any programmes. Two of my friends have this virus as well.

I was given this site by Jester

click here

I'm still having problems removing it from my neighbours system, so good luck.

Jester2K II 14:19 13 Aug 03

To prevent it (if not infected already)

1) get the MS Patch from click here - for XP you need the 32 bit version.

2) Install you AV and update it.

Thats it.

To remove it

1) Download Stinger click here on a clean PC and transfer to the infected PC via floppy.

2) Get the MS Patch from click here - for XP you need the 32 bit version - on a clean PC and transfer to the infected PC via floppy.

2) Start the infected PC in Safe Mode and scan with Stinger.

3) Reboot and install the patch.

4) Update your AV and do a full scan or get Free AV from click here

MjM Hellfire 14:01 15 Aug 03

Got it sorted Jester...cheers for the help. I went into safe mode and installed a firewall on their pc and blocked the ports it was using, then used the removal tools you recommended and all is well.

My neighbour has learned a valuable lesson after going without firewalls and AV software using broadband.

Chegs ® 14:13 15 Aug 03

This damn virus got me this morning as soon as I connected to the Update site to patch up my reinstall of XP Home.I also hadn't got round to installing AVG/ZA after a major crash of XP last nite,I booted into safe mode,and ran the Stinger,then repaired XP as web d/l's dont d/l(NVidia gives error about "Not having Permission to access the site") and MSN Messenger refuses to d/l,PC Pitstop wont run thru,etc.

Djohn 19:35 21 Aug 03

Just book marking for future reference. Excellent help jester, even today at least three request for help have come into the forum. Regards. j.

Gaz 25 21:32 22 Aug 03

click here - Blaster Worm

click here - Nachia (Welchia)

click here - Sobig.F

All provide Info and removal.

TommyRed 22:32 22 Aug 03

Excellent, I'll put these links in my postings in case the're needed. Hopefully I'm up to date with AVG.
TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…