RPC Service Terminated

mrdsgs 19:12 27 Aug 03

I have just set up one of my w2000 machines to dual boot with xp pro sp1

all went ell and i've installed software etc and am now trying to download updates.

after 5 minutes or so of internet activity i am informed that

"Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly"

This is in xp, don't know about 2000

any ideas?

mrdsgs

Gaz 25 19:25 27 Aug 03

click here - for information and removal of blaster.worm and protection for future.

Please find this information useful,

Regards,
Gareth

mrdsgs 19:37 27 Aug 03

thanks both of you

i'll try and then reply if i can

mike

Tony 20:49 27 Aug 03

I repair and build pc for a living and last knight I installed a new Xp Pro on an old computer about 1.1 gig amd duron with 128 meg ram, I forgot to put the patch for blasterworm in and carried on to setup ntl broadband about 30 seconds into the registration process just after the reboot to setup the cable modem it struck Nt rpc will restart the computer now. now iv'e seen virus and worms before but never that quick as this was a clean installation.
Tony

mrdsgs 21:53 27 Aug 03

ditto!!!

it is ironic that the only thing i had been on line for was product activation!!!

anyway, thanks to the above advice i'm sorted with the microsoft patch and "stinger" sorted it out i think.

i have been able to download various bits and pieces

but...

windows update tells me what i need to install but i click "install" and then nothing happens

any thoughts?

many thanks to my saviours.

mrdsgs

Gaz 25 21:55 27 Aug 03

'now iv'e seen virus and worms before but never that quick'

You can be infected on an unpatched system within about 45 seconds or even less.

mrdsgs 11:57 28 Aug 03

after a good night's sleep windows update was happy again!

all is well

thanks for the speedy advice

The lesson: patch and virus check before any internet use.

marked as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…