Roxio Go-Back or Xp`s own (or neither)

Any advice which of the above might be the best option? (Go-back part of Systemworks 2002).

Thanks

Steve- 09:08 06 Sep 03

I recently installed Roxio Go Back 3 Delux after a problem that stopped my Computer both booting into XP or working in Safe Mode (it would freeze a few moments into the restore attempt). GoBack has a facility to run a restore immediately after the POST and before the operating system installs. I have not yet had a chance to test GoBack in anger so can't comment on whether Roxio or another backup prog is best, but this function alone makes it superior to System Restore in my eyes.

JMG 09:21 06 Sep 03

System restore works reasonably well and will recover you from most things. It has helped me on a number of occasions, when drivers have had a sulk or hardware has been misreported or the system is just doing its windows thing. It does seem to struggle with major problems however and can (rarely) inform you that it can't restore and you must try again with another restore point. It is automatic and creates restore points regularly and when system changes are made. So all in all considering it is free - that's the one I would go for.

krypt1c 09:24 06 Sep 03

You should also remember that these are not 'backup' utilities. They just take you back to a specific point in time. If you want to be able to do a backup you need something like Norton Ghost or Drive Image.
[email protected] - If you've got systemworks 2002 pro you'll have a copy of ghost included. If you haven't you can get a copy of Ghost 2002 from click here NB you need 2002 or later for XP

-pops- 09:34 06 Sep 03

Entirely agree with krypt1c.

Neither GoBack nor System Restore are of much use in a catastrophic failure. By all means use one or the other for minore things but a full backup is the only way to ensure no loss of data or your setup.

Some years ago GoBack caused a conflict in my machine such that it destroyed the very thing it was supposed to protect. I would not even look at it now but that's a personal view.

I currently use DriveImage 7 and occasionally use System Restore for minor blips.

billyliv 10:37 06 Sep 03

Hi, Dont forget that 'Go Back' will also cause your Hard Drive to be constantly active. cheers, Bill

Thanks for the advice so far.

Does system restore have the same impact on the HD or other rescources as GoBack?

-pops- 10:55 06 Sep 03

System Restore appears to just sit there quietly doing what it should with no obvious interference with anything else. Unlike, as billylive says, making your HD constantly thrash about.

Brian

VoG II 11:00 06 Sep 03

I have to agree with billyliv and -pops-

My 'puter came with GoBack preinstalled. It took me a while to work out what was causing the HDD to thrash constantly but once I found the culprit, it was removed.

System Restore has saved my bacon on a few occasions but it does not obviate the need to make regular backups or images. I have System Restore set to use the maximum amount of disk space so I can go back a long way if necessary.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:49 06 Sep 03

Goback does cause problems with Win ME but I swear by it. It can save a lot of time in fiddling, especially if one is not too computer savvy or when time is at a premium.

An excellent feature of Goback, that is often overlooked, is that it can restore deleted documents or files, even when removed from the trash can;-))

G

Magik ®© 12:16 06 Sep 03

go-back for me as well, on both win98 and XP, i disabled the restore function on the XPpc, it never seemed to make many restore points, if any...nothing worse than making a pigs ear of it all and then finding out you can not get it right.

to me GO-BACK seems foolproof, bit like me :-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…