Roxio Easy CD Creator

Jackcoms 19:40 06 Dec 03

I have just copied the entire contents of my Documennts and Settings folder to a CD-R using Roxio Easy CD Creator.

Can someone please tell me why all my Word and Excel files are Read Only on the CD-R.

Is this usual when copying to a CD-R?

Will I be able to edit/amend the files if I use a CD-RW?

Curio 20:34 06 Dec 03

They are exactly that. Readable only.
If you wish to 'play' with your files, use a cdrw disk

Jackcoms 21:57 06 Dec 03

Curio

Thanks for your suggestion.

I have now copied the Documents and Settings folder to a CD-RW, but I still find that Word and Excel are 'Read Only'.

MIke 22:09 06 Dec 03

You can only read from a cd, not write back any changes made to a file, at least not in same sense as writing back to a hard drive.

You can of course re-write a cdrw, but first have to erase the disc, or write the file to another session, the old data still remaining on the disc in the earlier session to which it was written, so in that sense the file is indeed read only, as it has not been replaced when an updated file is written to the disc.

I think you may need to read that more than once to make sense of it!!

There is a program available called "Clear read only attributes" which will allow you to do a batch conversion of read only files to read/write files useful if you copy a folder full of files from cd to your hard drive. It's avaiable on the net but I'm afraid I don't have the URL at the moment.

MIke 22:13 06 Dec 03

Found the link to CROA

click here

mtall 22:52 06 Dec 03

I think you can still edit your document from your CD-R without any problem provided that you do not close the session and the end of your work. I have a CD-R in my drive and i use it as you would use a froppy. I can save, delete and edit my document as I wish. Just remember not to close the session after you have saved your document on the CD-R.

Good luck

mtall

craneman01 23:23 06 Dec 03

Using a "Froppy" means you can do all sorts of good things.. Better than a CD-R or a CD-RW:

Just having a laugh, my fingers are no better......

Craneman

woody 00:52 07 Dec 03

"I can save, delete and edit my document as I wish. Just remember not to close the session after you have saved your document on the CD-R. "

You can delete with CD-R but you can not use the space the file was on .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…