Roxio (Adaptec) Drivers

WightRob 05:56 28 Mar 07

I have an old Iomega CD RW drive (about 4 yrs old) and a new LG multi format DVD RW drive. I am running XP Home.
I recently loaded the Iomega CD that came with the drive. This included Adaptec Direct CD 3, Adaptec Easy CD 4 and Iomega ZIP CD.
Windows informed me that there is a problem with the Adaptec drivers and that they have been disabled. I don't really need to have the Adaptec software so I uninstalled it. The trouble is I cannot get rid of the drivers.
I tried uninstalling both drives and letting Windows reinstall them on boot up. The faulty drivers are still there. I tried renaming the drivers (safer than deleteing them) but both drives failed to install as Windows was looking for the drivers. I suspect this will be a registry edit job but I am not sure how to do this. Can anyone help. I will need to make a reg backup first and I do not have my notes on how to do this available.
The drivers are CDR4_2K.sys and CDRALW2K.sys.
Thanks.

Batch 09:21 28 Mar 07

When windows installs drivers such as the .sys files that you mention, these are located by via the windows drivers database that it builds from the .inf files that 'point' to the actual drivers.

.inf files are, effectively, installation instructions telling Windows the details of the driver files, where to find them and where / how to install them.

You could try the following:

Locate the relevant .inf file on your system and remove this. So I would suggest searching for .inf files that refer to the .sys files that you mention (you may be able to determine what the .iinf file is called by looking on the CD that you mention).

Having removed the .inf file, then make sure that the drivers are uninstalled and reboot. Windows will then not find the .inf file and should then revert to doing whatever it was doing beforehand.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…