Rows of spots before my eyes!!

Sapins 22:26 30 Nov 03

Last week I decided to switch to XP Home on my dual boot set-up and also I have had to buy a new monitor this week.
I have screen saver set to cut in after 1 minute. On Friday when I was dragging a small window inside a larger one rows of Red dots started covering the screen and they remained on the screen until I closed the open windows, I restarted and everything appeared normal. Today about 15 minutes after screen saver activated 2 rows of Blue and Green dots appeared along the bottom of the screen and after a further few minutes another line appeared along the top then another line in the middle, there may be more lines if I leave it longer. No dots are visible on the "active" screen only when screen saver is on.Any ideas on what could be wrong please.

Regards,

Sapins

Chegs ® 22:36 30 Nov 03

Does it only do it with SS or does it do it when running video/games etc?

DieSse 22:39 30 Nov 03

Memory problems on the graphics card, most likely. But also try making sure you have the latest drivers for the motherboard and graphics.

Sapins 22:59 30 Nov 03

Hi Chegs ® and DieSse, talk about fate, just as I was typing my response the computer crashed, I got the XP has detected and recovered from a serious problem etc: I have saved the Crash Analysis Report and it says the fault was probably caused by Video Driver (3DFXVSM.DLL) so that looks like the answer. What do I do now?

Sapins 23:03 30 Nov 03

I'm still getting over the shock of the "CRASH" and they say XP is more stable, I havn't had a crash with 98SE in three and a half years!

Sapins 23:05 30 Nov 03

Sorry Chegs ® forgot to answer you, the dots appear sometimes no matter what I am running.

Chegs ® 23:10 30 Nov 03

It does look like its Graphics card driver trouble.Try updating them,and also try altering the Display Timing,I got a similar prob with a GF2 card in XP Pro,just after XP came out and altering the setting from Win Managed to one of the others got everything running well again.

Sapins 23:20 30 Nov 03

Can you tell me how to upgrade the Graphics card driver please Chegs ®, the error report says the card maker was taken over by NVIDIA Corporation in 2001, will their site have updated drivers? and how do I alter the Display Timing?

Will have to leave this for tonight and look at it tomorrow, Thanks both of you for your help, much appreciated,

Regards,

Sapins

skeletal 23:21 30 Nov 03

Sapins, sorry to butt into your thread. You've not had a crash in 3 half years!!!????

Under SE I reckoned on one about every 3 days. XP is similar, but it cheats, the screen goes dark and it just restarts so it hopes you don't notice. After a few of those (on a bad crash) it tells you its doing its scan disc thing, but to be fair this only happens about once a month.

For what it's worth, for your problem, my guess would be graphics card drivers.

Unbeliving Skeletal

Chegs ® 23:23 30 Nov 03
  Sapins 23:25 30 Nov 03

Hi skeletal, yes three and a half years it's true I swear.

Now it's goodnight from me and it's goodnight from her.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…