Routing and Remote Access Service won't start

docj 14:41 26 Mar 04

I am using XP Home (SP1 and rollover)and am attempting to make a serial direct cable connection with another PC running 98SE. I can set it up with 98 as host and XP as guest, but when I try to set it the other way round I cannot set the XP as host. I get the following error message:
"Windows could not start the Routing and Remote Access Service on the local computer....review the System event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 340"
I checked the service and it is set to automatic but still will not start when prompted. The System Event Log is not very elucidating.
Since I am hoping to eventually connect the computers via network cards I would like to solve this problem in case it may have any repercussions when I try set up the network.
Can anyone tell me how I can get this up and running. I can find nothing specific on the problem via search engines.
Thanks

spikeychris 18:16 26 Mar 04

First thing to always check with RRAS is make sure the "Remote registry service" has started.

docj 20:06 26 Mar 04

That worried me for a moment because it is not in my list of Services so I checked and it is only in XP Pro, not XP Home.
On further going through my list I see that other services, such as (for example only) Remote Procedure Call can be started. The path for this is given as "C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k rpcss". The path for RRAS is "C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs".
So the question is, why isn't it starting?

As I am able to connect with 98-host and XP-guest and get 98 to use the printer on XP this is really a theoretical question but I would like to know if it would have any effect when I set up a LAN?

docj 15:34 28 Mar 04

I am closing this question as I have resolved the problem by doing a repair install of XP. I subsequently saw somewhere that it may have been due to one of the recent 'hotfixes' from Microsoft.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…