//some 3rd party need geo

Routers + wirelss card / MIMO or G speedbooster

koekenaap 18:21 08 May 06

We are getting broadband in our house tomorrow and I want to set up a wireless network. We will have one desktop connected to the router via a fixed line and 2 laptops connected wirelessly. One of the laptops is a wireless enabled centrino and the other one doesn’t have a wireless network card. Basically we need to buy one router and one wireless card to get everyone set up on the network. My options for the router are either a wireless G booster/turbo router (for 125Mbit/s) or a MIMO or pre-N router. We could get a matching card for the one laptop, but the other one will have the standard 802.11g 54 Mbit/s. I have the following questions :
1) Would the standard wireless card slow the whole network down for any of the 2 router options or just limit the specific laptop?
2) Is there a difference between MIMO and pre-N routers?
3) If you have a MIMO or pre-N router, do you need a MIMO or pre-N wireless card to get any advantage?
4) Would I be able to use a MIMO or pre-N router with a different make wireless card or are they all proprietary?
5) Could you use a MIMO or Pre-N router with a boosted G standard card?
6) Would any of the 2 router options increase the speed of the standard wireless card or just the range?

I am thinking of either getting the US Robotics Wireless MaxG Router, the Buffalo Airstation Turbo G or the Linksys Wireless G with Speedbooster. The MIMO ones are a bit more expensive and could be proprietary. The Buffalo only seems to be sold over the internet so I won’t have time to wait for it to arrive. Any help or ideas regarding make?

ade.h 20:59 08 May 06

1) Just its own client.

2) Yes. MIMO is designed to increase signal strength, particularly in environments with solid walls. Boosted - or Pre-N - systems are designed purely to provide a speed increase. This is of limited relevance unless you intend to stream large files such as multimedia content.

3)Yes.

4) No. They are proprietary.

5) No.

6) See my answer to question 2.

mgmcc 22:37 08 May 06

Just to avoid any misunderstanding:

<<< 4) Would I be able to use a MIMO or pre-N router with a different make wireless card or are they all proprietary?
<<< 5) Could you use a MIMO or Pre-N router with a boosted G standard card?

These routers and cards will all work together, but only in accordance with the standard 802.11g 54Mbps protocol. Any speed enhancement does require that the router and card are designed to work together using the proprietary speed boosting technology.

Danoh 13:21 10 May 06

"1) Would the standard wireless card slow the whole network down for any of the 2 router options or just limit the specific laptop?"

Just the specific laptop (a.k.a. client machine)

"4) Would I be able to use a MIMO or pre-N router with a different make wireless card or are they all proprietary?"

It is possible to have different brands but you must check carefully.
I have a Belkin MIMO router working faultlessly with Linksys MIMO desktop PCI adapters; they both use AirGO's proprietary MIMO/pre-N circuitry design.

I'd read a couple of recent articles which said that most pre-N/MIMO routers did not give any increased throughput compared to standard 802.11g, although range was increased.
Both articles said only a router using AirGO MIMO showed any increase, but confusingly, in one it was a Belkin and in the other a Linksys.

koekenaap 19:01 10 May 06

Thanks guys! Very helpful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…