Routers & Software Firewalls

Dumfy 00:31 19 Sep 07

Hi All,

Have recently connected to Sky Broadband and after a few teething troubles, all now good so far.

Now that I'm connected through a router my question is..do I still need a software firewall too?

I'm using Zone Alarm (free edition) and don't like to clutter my PC up with software that's unnecessary.

I believe that ZA can hog system resources, so if a software firewall is still essential, can you recommend a good "lite" one that I can use?

Many Thanks

Dumfy

mgmcc 08:47 19 Sep 07

Because a software firewall, such as Zone Alarm, monitors both incoming and outgoing network traffic, it is generally recommended to use this in addition to the router's hardware firewall, which only acts on incoming traffic.

rambus 10:32 19 Sep 07

i connect 3 desktop pc`s and 1 laptop to the internet thru a modem and wireless router. the only firewall i use is whats in the router. i also use avg anti-virus, laversoft ad-aware and crap cleaner, and thats it, serves me well. the aforementioned coupled with common sense and sensible use, i can say that i have not had any problems and all machines run well.this(click here) is an excellant site to test your pc`s vulnerability. at the end of the day its your choice how much software you feel you need, to be secure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced