Routers - leave on or off

Diodorus Siculus 16:40 30 Nov 05
  Diodorus Siculus 16:41 30 Nov 05

Sorry, meant to add a question:

"It's not a good idea to leave a router connected permanently, so turn it off at night."

That is what the FE said.

Any comments on why this might be the case? Simply to save the electricity bill, or what?

Thanks as always, Dio

ade.h 16:45 30 Nov 05

I saw that comment too. I wondered if perhaps it was to do with inadvertantly having Wake on LAN or similar enabled. Would a PC in standby wake up if the router was left on and a signal passed through it?

Just hazarding a guess really!

Shortstop 16:49 30 Nov 05

I have a broadband router [only one outlet but hardwired firewalled for business] and a Belkin router to 3 PCs. They are surge protected for both power & phone and are left permanently on, although the PCs are powered down.

Doing this for 3+ years and never had an issue.

BR

Paul

anchor 16:55 30 Nov 05

Like Shortstop, my router is on 24/7, except when I go on holiday. The power and phone line connection are only then disconnected. No problems in over a year.

Of course, the PC is switched off every evening.

FE: am I doing anything wrong?.

Diodorus Siculus 17:00 30 Nov 05

I leave my router on because it means I can listen to the radio via internet upstairs; so too, guests can use it to access the net as they wish.

I am just concerned that it will shorten the life of the router or do something more detrimental.

Diodorus Siculus 17:00 30 Nov 05

I leave my router on because it means I can listen to the radio via internet upstairs; so too, guests can use it to access the net as they wish.

I am just concerned that it will shorten the life of the router or do something more detrimental.

reclaimjack 17:02 30 Nov 05

my pc webcam is set to call me if i get movement in the house when i am away and what about auto updates in the middle off the night ?????

reclaimjack 17:04 30 Nov 05

why would you have wake on lan if the router is off ?????

keewaa 17:05 30 Nov 05

I'd say its six dozen of one and 72 of the other. Turning it on and off every day probably burns it out as much as leaving it on.

woodchip 17:06 30 Nov 05

I have my 3Com on all the time set to not respond to pings, Plus built in Firewall, Shields up Online Scan cannot see my Computer as says to how it responds, is that it does not exist. And would be hard to hack other than a Determined Hacker

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…